• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

LesPaul

I'm thinking of selling my 2016 Cutlass SSS. It's one of the versions before they came with roasted maple necks. Any thoughts on what I should expect as a fair selling price? I'm struggling with Reverb lately because there seem to be a lot of people trying to lowball, so I'd like some guidance as to how much I should hold out for. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

elvisdog

I think this is actually kind of a tough call. The new ones have gone up a fair amount, which seems like it would drag the used ones up in price. And comparable guitars -- I'm looking at you, Silver Sky -- are expensive, too. But my Cutlass, same vintage, was right around a thousand new / b-stock. Can a used guitar be worth more than it cost new? Maybe . . .

Astrofreq

Absolutely can be worth more than when it was new. With prices (of everything) going up, you might get more than you think. I would search other Reverb listings and price accordingly. I usually try to undercut everyone else, so I can move unwanted gear faster. That also depends on how many others are listed, condition, rarity, etc.

Definitely turn on the Reverb settings for automatically refusing lowball offers.

jmmp

It depends on the finish. Classic white I find goes for the cheapest. Rarer colors seem to go for a little more, but I’d say between 1050 and 1300 is reasonable, assuming no real finish or other issues.

Sweat

It depends on the finish. Classic white I find goes for the cheapest. Rarer colors seem to go for a little more, but I’d say between 1050 and 1300 is reasonable, assuming no real finish or other issues.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This, while new price is up resale is down unless you are looking at the idiots on Reverb :)

Virtuoso

I paid $1035 for mine inc shipping on Reverb. I got it shortly after they were released in 2016 and it was only a couple of months old. One of the best value guitars I've ever bought - I play it all the time!

I went on to buy a couple more at much higher prices but I always reach for that original one first!

LesPaul

Thanks for the input folks. To follow up on this, I've received an offer of 800. The guy making the offer stated that he can't go higher because the guitar has a small neck pocket finish crack. I understand this is not uncommon with bolt on necks. What are folks thoughts here. Is 800 a fair offer in this case?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TripHazard

No, that is a terrible offer. Tell him to poke it. Neck pocket crack is so common it shouldn’t even be an issue.
I sold my 2016 sss cutlass 2 years ago for £1250, and that’s before the price jump.
He is a chancer

edhalen

Classic low baller. If I were you I'd set the auto-reject offers below a certain price point to avoid having to deal with people like that.

Astrofreq

That looks like a really fair price for that guitar (if not low), so don't feel bad about turning down low-ballers. there are people asking hundreds more for that same model/color on eBay.

TripHazard

I think you’ve priced it a bit lower than you need to. If I was shopping for a cutlass and saw that I wouldn’t hesitate.

Astrofreq

Also, don't hesitate to list it in the For Sale thread here in the forums. The members here are great and you could save on unnecessary fees if it works out. :)

Virtuoso

Ignore the lowballer - that's a fair price and the TINY crack is not significant.

Try advertising on The Gear Page too. I always cross check to see if a Reverb listing is also posted there - that way I can usually work out a deal so both parties end up better off than paying Reverb/Paypal fees.

Pops

I'm in the UK.I just had a look on gumtree and the price you are quoting is low compared to what they are asking.IMHO knock back the chancer and hold out ,it is a fair price.

Top Bottom