• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Grand Wazoo

Filthy Habits - Frank Zappa listen to the bass

This tune is mainly for all the Bass Players here, but guitarist will also dig Frank's solo, I just wanted to share this exclusive pearl of a song with you guys, as it's one of my favourite Frank Zappa's song, simple and effective:

Frank Zappa = guitar, Terry Bozzio = Drums & Dave Parlato = F€nd€r P. Bass.

The track features what has been descrived by many of his fans, as one of Zappa's finest solo moment, but I am totally captured by Dave Parlato's P-bass sound. A sound so well defined and clustered, that if sounds could be identified with colours, this would be definately a brown one, so much so that when I listen to it I feel almost like big chunks of the sweetest chocolate are being snapped and fed to me. It is that sweet.

But enough of my yakking here it is, listen to the bass after the 2nd intro fades, and Zappa starts cooking some sh*t hot sustained notes.

Last edited:

lowliferumble

No you are not the only one who finds that bass part to be hypnotic and mesmerizing. I find myself mentally going back to it many times during a day which I have listened to it . The effect seems to last for days and days. Frank was amazing, and I beleive he inspired the musicians working with him to rise above their previous best, time and time again. I guess greatness does rub off !!!!!

Volt

Bluesville, The People's Republic of Ohio
I never did "get" Zappa. He was always a bit too "way out there" for my taste, and was seemingly not a particularly accomplished guitarist (not that I'm any good at it lol). HOWEVER, I have had some good guitarist friends of mine who's opinions I respect rave about the guy. Just proves we all have different tastes......and that I may not be "getting" something in his playing.

Last edited:

Grand Wazoo

I never did "get" Zappa. He was always a bit too "way out there" for my taste, and was seemingly not a particularly accomplished guitarist (not that I'm any good at it lol). HOWEVER, I have had some good guitarist friends of mine who's opinions I respect rave about the guy. Just proves we all have different tastes......and that I may not be "getting" something in his playing.

I agree not everyone might get Zappa, but he can be as addictive as EBMM instruments, once you dip your toes in you'll find it hard to get back, try a dose of this solo, make sure you listen to it without prejudice and not trying to compare him to your idea of a "virtuoso" guitarist, it's not the 100 notes a minute or the impeccably executed series of pentatonic blues scales, its more of an experience I can't literally explain in words. check it out.

Grooveshark -- Listen to Free Music

Black Lake

Thanks Captn,
Frank is the master and always attracted and mentored some amazing talent. I shudder to think how much ability it took to hold down the bottom end for his music. That tune just answered my question.

Volt

Bluesville, The People's Republic of Ohio
Listening to Frank's guitar solo I get the feeling his playing represents his freedom of expression and experimentation, and an unwillingness to follow any traditional accepted musical styling. Possibly very much akin to his personality. At least that's the feeling i get when listening to him.
Good stuff actually.

DanTheMan

no you are not the only one who finds that bass part to be hypnotic and mesmerizing. I find myself mentally going back to it many times during a day which i have listened to it . The effect seems to last for days and days. Frank was amazing, and i beleive he inspired the musicians working with him to rise above their previous best, time and time again. I guess greatness does rub off !!!!!

+1

Grand Wazoo

Following on this subject, I would like to share with you a particular song every week, not necessarily Frank Zappa's stuff but I plan to cover all kinds of different styles from R&B to Rock, Blues to Jazz, or sometimes even grunge or punk. The important thing is to share great songs that you might have not had the pleasure to hear as yet or that you have forgotten. These songs will be featuring either a great bass player or a great guitar player, or both :)

If this meets the approval of the moderators and the great BP (after all it does fall under the heading of General Music Discussion) I will then create a thread in this part of the forum called the Capt's Pick where I will add a link to a song which will be stored on my own webspace and therefore will not affect the bandwidth of this forum in a similar way to a link of a pic stored on photobucket or similar.

~~~~

Well this week's song features Jaco Pastorius like you've never heard before, Jaco plays Bob Marley's famous reggae song "I Shot The Sheriff".

Even though you don't often hear Jaco's playing reggae, his early musical influences where infact R&B and Reggae and this rendition it's an excellent tribute to Bob Marley and to Jaco himself.

Jaco's bassline of the theme is perfectly executed with all the right accents but when he starts trading solos with Bireli Lagrene the song is filled with amazing licks and a few suprises.

the CD title is Live in Italy
jacopastoriusliveinitaly.gif
Recorded during a late tour of Europe in 1986, Live in Italy simply features a trio comprising Pastorius, guitarist Bireli Lagrene, and drummer Tomas Böröcz.

This was the last band that Pastorius played with regularly before manic depression & substance abuse resulted in the downfall that lead to his premature death. :(

Jaco left behind a legacy bigger than life in his music and this track is a perfect example of his "greatness" Click Here & Enjoy

JasonOksa

This bassline rocks!!! supportive and innovative at the same time. very relaxing to listen to. This is awesome! Zappa was years ahead of his time, and communicated with the notes he played directly from his soul. Thanks!!

DanTheMan

Keep 'em coming CaptMoto! Enjoyed both selections and it's always good to hear new stuff that can open other doors for you. (A thread would be great). :)

Grand Wazoo

Keep 'em coming CaptMoto! Enjoyed both selections and it's always good to hear new stuff that can open other doors for you. (A thread would be great). :)

Thanks! :)

Next killer track will be posted on Monday (one track per week ;) ) featuring 4 super artists on the same song, i.e. 1 x bass player and 3 x guitar players : I give you a clue (can you guess what it is yet?) Jimmy Earl, Brett Garsed, Shawn Lane and the GREAT Frank Gambale.

douglasspears

good stuff, thanks for posting. I was never really big into Zappa, but my brother was, so I got to hear a good bit of him. I saw Dweezil and "Zappa Plays Zappa" a year or two ago,....it was great! Vai came out for the last 4 songs.

lowliferumble

JACO!!

Man could he really bring it! Every thing is all calm and mellow....BOOM!!! Here he is with the over the top flurries of perfectly syncopated notes from every where imaginable and then some. What a loss to the world of music! Every time I hear him play I get a mixed bag of emotions....first it is awe, followed by a deep sense of profound loss. Thanks Capt! very cool

Grand Wazoo

Well as promised in this post here: http://www.ernieball.com/forums/gen...abits-franz-zappa-listen-bass.html#post581904

This week's track is nothing but breath taking, whether you are a bassist, a guitarist or even a drummer, you will enjoy it thoroughly, in fact I have never found anyone who has listened to this particular song without grinning or tapping their fingers or feet, and if you don't, there is something serioulsy wrong with ya! ;)

Sometime during 1991, while browsing through racks of CD's in the jazz section of Tower Records, London, a song being played there totally blew me away.

Now, I knew Miles Davis and the song "So What" well before this record was out, so when the song came through the store speakers a familiar theme caught my attention, but as soon as it started to develop into the phenomenon you are about to hear I stood there with my jaw dropped for the whole of the 9:41 minutes duration and when it was over I went to the front desk asking: "who the heck was that??" The rest is history, as they say. ;)

Mark Varney is someone I had never heard of before but for what I understand he is a very prominent music producer, who decided to get together a bunch of high profile "virtuoso" session men and recorded 2 CD's under the name of MVP or Mark Varney Project
This tracks features Jimmy Earl on bass, Brett Garsed, Shawn Lane and Frank Gambale, providing 3 amazing guitar solos one after the other in this order
  1. Brett Garsed
  2. Shawn Lane
  3. Frank Gambale
Sit down, turn the volume up, lay back and enjoy!!

So What

Last edited:
Top Bottom