• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

CudBucket

Sadly, I sold my Peavey JSX last week. I know I'll regret it. It's a great, great amp. I just decided that I have too much gear that sits around so I sold a Carvin bass, Carvin acoustic and my JSX. With a Mesa Road King II in the house, I just couldn't justify keeping two heads around. I also don't have unlimited space.

Enjoy. Peavey makes some sweet amps.

J-Nick

Right now I can't justify the purchase of a tube amp since I'm mostly playing in my apartment, no gigs. Once I move into my own house and can crank the volume up a little, the JSX will definitely be high on my list.

Congrats on your new amp.

shimi

Peavey sells now the Windsor amp , also new and build in Korea

very cheap

slukather

Junior said:
Thanks everyone.

BTW You can't just compare the JSX to the ValveKing. The JSX costs 2 times as much. And it's USA made.

Yeah l know you can't compare the 2 amps, but the Valveking is still a great amp, but it's still a nice amp, and they are really worth the price.

Scott.

mark_tampa

I've got a old Peavey Stereo Chorus 212 solidstate combo amp that I purchased new years ago that has been used and abused a ton, but still sounds great. Went through 2 VTM 60's heads and a 5150 combo during the same time, the three Peavey tube amps had combined about half the use of the Chorus 212 before giving up for dead. Ended up with a Lexicon Signature 284 tube amp that has far less power but has been reliable as any tube amp I've ever owned, but have to mic it... Wouldn't mind finding another Chorus 212 in great condition for a spare, mine looks like it has been through a few war zones.

Junior

Damn! :mad: Seems that there is something wrong with my amp. I contacted some people from Harmony Central, people who wrote reviews, and they say that there is something wrong. I hope not. I contacted Peavey, but they didn't reply yet.

Playing 5/10 volume with 4/10 gain on lead channel, on 40% power (20W) shouldn't be bedroom volume, right?

Junior

robelinda2 said:
my fender deville 4x10 wont even go past 1 in the bedroom, way too loud! Only get it up to 3 or 4 on stage and thats LOUD!

thats a shame you have a problem with the amp, amp issues are a pain in the ass.

First, about your Fender DeVille, I see the thing. Its volume rapidly increases between 1-5, but try it, I doubt you'll get a big volume difference between 5-10 comparing to the difference between 1-5.

Second, yeah it's a pain, and I would understand it if it was old, but it's brand f-ing new from the store.

slukather

Junior said:
Damn! :mad: Seems that there is something wrong with my amp. I contacted some people from Harmony Central, people who wrote reviews, and they say that there is something wrong. I hope not. I contacted Peavey, but they didn't reply yet.

Playing 5/10 volume with 4/10 gain on lead channel, on 40% power (20W) shouldn't be bedroom volume, right?

Since l know very little about the amp, it might be best to ask at the Peavey Forum, l think there are some tech's from Peavey who browse there.

I hope this helps,

Scott.

RitchieDarling

I need an amp.........

But I have no idea what to buy. Bass amps I know. Guitar amps? I have no clue. So, toss me some suggestions. The guitar is a Ricky 360 6-string type a la Roger McGuinn. And I prefer a clean sound with just a bit of reverb and/or chorus. :D

Ritchie

P.S. No tubes please. I loathe tubes!

candid_x

Junior,

I’m not familiar with your specific amp, but I wouldn’t let a bad review on Harmony discourage you from enjoying your new amp. There’s lemons in all but the best hand wired amps, and some of the low cost imports coming out of the east are fantastic values.

On your volume, if I understand correctly, if your master volume’s on 5 (of 10), and your gain is 4 (of 10), on a 50 watt 6L6 amp, it probably should be plenty loud. But each amp’s gain structure is different; plus all the extra features they pile into the amp can all effect gain and volume levels.

Someone mentioned speakers and tubes, and I agree that they can make a huge difference in the tone your amp will produce. The Eminence line has some great speakers, and they’re not that expensive. I prefer them over what Celestion is importing these days. My 50 watt amps are loaded with JJ 6L6’s, and I love ‘em. Groove Tube’s GT6L6GE is another great sounding output tube, imo. For an inexpensive re-tube of your 12AX7 preamp tubes, JJ ECC83S is a good place to start. You can get all boutique-kee with NOS tubes later, if you become a tone freak. I’ve tried a number of Eminence’s speakers, including their Patriot Series, and chose the Wizard and Legend GB128, which sound amazing together.

But the main thing for now, I think, is to relax and have fun with your new amp. From what I’ve read, it kicks ass!

peterd79

i have this amp and i love it... i'm actually swapping out the tubes tomorrow in time for church... my 412 is insane... and last sunday it sounded incredible... i hope the new tubes takes it over the edge with tone and clarity!

candid_x

Great points, Gary. Tubes are the first place to look for a problem, especially after being kicked cross country by UPS.

Tubes and speakers also take a fair amount of playing time to break in.

Side notes:
Using a balanced triode tube in your phase inverter spot can really open an amp up.
V1 tube shapes an amp's tone, so it's the place to experiement. The other V spots should be something stable, not exotic. I'm a big fan of JJ ECC83S in the gain stages, and they're inexpensive. Avoid the JJ ECC803 long plate tube in combos and in gain stages, as they tend to be microphonic. In a head, they can sound great in V1, especially if you're looking to fatten the tone up. (Just sent one to my son for his Marshall DSL 2000, and he loves it.)

Hope this tube talk doesn't derail the thread...

Last edited:

Junior

Good point guys

It indeed was driven all across the country to get to my place.

But I don't want to do anything by myself. I'll wait 'till I get and experienced man to help me out.

Thanks a lot, you really helped me! :)

fsmith

RitchieDarling said:
But I have no idea what to buy. Bass amps I know. Guitar amps? I have no clue. So, toss me some suggestions. The guitar is a Ricky 360 6-string type a la Roger McGuinn. And I prefer a clean sound with just a bit of reverb and/or chorus. :D

Ritchie

P.S. No tubes please. I loathe tubes!

If you want built in chorus and reverb I'd suggest the Roland Cube Series. You're choice on size, they have a 15, 30, 60, or the MicroCube. They have built in effects and sound really nice.

Excellent cleans and it can get dirty as all get out if needed.

fred

Last edited:

peterd79

tubes...tubes...tubes

I am a worship leader at my church and play electric guitar... i want to swap out my tubes... im a tone junkie... and want to go with Groove Tubes... what do you think about replacing them 24 hours before a worship service... is that stupid? should i buy 'em and wait and install them on Monday so i don't screw up the tone for Sunday morning?

Tim O'Sullivan

peterd79 said:
tubes...tubes...tubes

I am a worship leader at my church and play electric guitar... i want to swap out my tubes... im a tone junkie... and want to go with Groove Tubes... what do you think about replacing them 24 hours before a worship service... is that stupid? should i buy 'em and wait and install them on Monday so i don't screw up the tone for Sunday morning?

In my experience it should not make a great deal of difference. If you are paranoid about it, it might be worth waiting until after your service.

peterd79

ok... thanks TIM...

im a bit paranoid about gear breakin down because of mods i've made...

i did a phase reverse mod on a strat once 10 minutes before i played... sounded funny... that only lasted for a song and it was back to the basics...

candid_x

Agree with Tim. I’d warm them up for 15 minutes, play through them awhile. If everything checks out, they should be good to go. If a tube is bad, you’ll know it right away. My only point about break-in period is that they generally sound better after some play time.

Curious which GT’s you’re installing.

fellow tone junkie

Top Bottom