• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

alcarv

Hello!

I'm so excited that I finally got myself a brand new EBMM Majesty BFR Tiger Eye. As soon as I got it I noticed these lines on both sides of the neck where the nut is. Mainly because I recently saw a listing from Sweetwater with a discount just because of this.

Is this really a defect? Should I contact the store I got it from? I mean, I got the BFR in part because of the finish.

IMG_2281.jpg
IMG_2282.jpg
IMG_2283.jpg

mcro2430

Not a defect, just an interesting finish choice. From the pictures, it looks like they installed the nut before painting (or at least before clearcoating) the guitar. I'd be interested to see how a nut replacement would go on that guitar. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

tbonesullivan

There are many companies that install the nuts prior to finishing, and EBMM is one of those. If you look at the Satin clearcoat on any guitar with a "plain" headstock, you'll see that the satin goes over the edge of the nut. This is one very good way to prevent the finish from getting into the nut slot, which would then have to be scraped out.

godzizou

Hello

First of all congrats on the guitar, mine is such a fantastic instruments my JP15s are gathering dust (not so much though...) !

Mine was definitely without any visible nut "hairlines" as if the nut was already there prior to finishing. That being said I noticed the other Tiger Eye majesty I tried in the shop had these marks. I suspect it might be some stress on the finish but it seems quite common on Majesties. Nothing to worry about, I believe this is more cosmetic than structural. In case of doubt just have it checked by a luthier and contact Musicman CS service.

mlp187

Well my majesty needed a complete refinish because of this design. The nut started to lift causing the finish in that area to delaminate. Ernie Ball made things right and I am grateful, but I really don't think it's a good design choice. I can't see any benefit that would outweigh the risk of this design.

Top Bottom