• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

TheNewGuy

This is my first time changing strings, and adjusting various parts on the guitar. I'm a bit nervous, but I figure that I have a lot of string changes and intonation checking in my future, and I have to learn how to do it sometime so it might as well be now.

My guitar (ESP LTD EC-50) has never really been 'set-up', the intonation has never been adjusted nor have the strings ever been changed in the 4 years that I have owned it. I know, its kind of ridiculous and I regret not having done all of this sooner, but I have only recently gotten serious about playing and expanded my extremely limited knowledge of the guitar.

I suppose any guide to changing strings and adjusting the guitar to a new gauge for proper intonation will help me achieve my goal. But I thought I would post here first to get any advice that I could before I start.

*Q1: My understanding is this is not that difficult to do, but when you are new to it, it can be easy to mess something up. But as long as I don't have to file the nut, it's not like the adjustments can't be undone, right?

*Q2: I don't know the exact brand or gauge of the strings that are currently on the guitar, all I know is that they are the original factory strings and I want to replace them with "Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom .10-.52 Strings" and tune them to Standard E. I have read that ESP uses 46/36/26/17/13/10 for their factory strings. Could there be any problems with changing my strings to what I presume is a heavier gauge?

*Q3: What tools will I need to accomplish the string replacement and guitar set-up? (I assume just a flathead screwdriver and an allen wrench. Then of course the strings themselves and an electronic tuner.)

*Q4: The screws have a black finish and I don't want to strip the paint, any way to avoid that?

*Q5: I have read that you are not supposed to take all the strings off at once, but I was hoping to clean the fingerboard and frets for the first time when taking the old strings off, the most care my guitar has ever gotten was a light polish in only the most accessible areas with "Smith Pro Formula Polish". Changing the strings one at a time will make this impossible will it not?

I can't think of anything else to ask or add to this, but if you have any other advice you feel I need, feel free to send it my way.

I really appreciate anyone who took the time to read this long drawn-out post, regardless if you reply or not. Thank you very much!

Last edited:

TNT

Howdy new guy.

Hey, if your in Nor. Calif. I'll do it for ya!!

Just remember one thing - and by far the most important!!!

Make sure that they are Ernie Ball Strings - you'll never need to go anywhere else!!

LOVE EM":)

TheNewGuy

I wish you could! I'd love to see someone in person set-up a guitar, a visual aid would be quite helpful. But I live in a small town in Ohio, a good distance from any guitar shop. That’s why I posted here, just looking for a couple of answers and a little advice so I can start expanding my knowledge and become more comfortable with basic guitar maintenance. Thanks for the offer though. And I am looking forward to having Ernie Ball strings on my guitar.

super slinky

TCJ

How to string

This has always worked for me.
2939013821_b38dd2e8c7.jpg

Top Bottom