• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

JJBC

Hello everyone

I have a EBMM Majesty, it has standard string gauge (10 mm high E) and I have tuned it down to C standard. The tension of the strings has decreased (of course) and I seem to get fret buzz, specially with "air" notes (no pressing on the frets) and the first frets of the fingerboard, maybe between 1-3.

I have read that I could solve the problem by changing the gauge of the strings or adjusting the truss rod. I just want to learn and play this one song in C standard and it costs 100€ to do a set up in my city. What can I do?

Slick64

There are so many things to look at. If you are planning on keeping that low a tuning, you can look at the nut, or the bridge, but might need to recheck the intonation for either change. Assuming the neck is straight.

Raise the bridge slightly as that could be an easy fix, the nut depending on your skills might be best looked at by a tech.

beej

With less tension on the neck pulling it forward, you don't have enough relief so you're getting buzzing. (I have one tune I play in C- same deal.)

If you're going to be in that tuning for a while, you could try thicker strings (since regular strings feel like rubber bands at that tension ...). If not, just loosen the truss rod a wee bit and you should be good to go. Do the opposite when you tune back up.

JJBC

With less tension on the neck pulling it forward, you don't have enough relief so you're getting buzzing. (I have one tune I play in C- same deal.)

If you're going to be in that tuning for a while, you could try thicker strings (since regular strings feel like rubber bands at that tension ...). If not, just loosen the truss rod a wee bit and you should be good to go. Do the opposite when you tune back up.

Hi!

Thank.you for your answer. I'm not very good at spacial location, you say I need to add relief by loosening the truss rod, that means by turning the wheel to the right if I'm facing the guitar right?

beej

If you're looking from the body, down the neck, towards the headstock, turning the truss rod left will release some of the tension, which adds relief (the little forward bow in the neck). So that's what you want to do.

Etudica

You're gonna wanna get rid of those 10s in C standard. I would suggest a set of 12-56 to start and see how that goes. A lot of guys who keep guitars in this tuning use hybrid sets with differing gauges on the bottom end.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Guys, they are only detuning to learn one song so changing strings is not a preferred option.

But they are right in that looser strings wobble a LOT more which means more buzz even with added neck relief. And drop C with string gauges suited to standard E is gonna be difficult to avoid buzz. You may have to live with some amount of buzz so be prepared for that.

So, the good news is that truss rod adjustment is a simple and reversible way to go. Just remember how much adjustment you needed to when tuning down and reverse the adjustment the same amount when tuning back up.

attachment.php

JJBC

Guys, they are only detuning to learn one song so changing strings is not a preferred option.

But they are right in that looser strings wobble a LOT more which means more buzz even with added neck relief. And drop C with string gauges suited to standard E is gonna be difficult to avoid buzz. You may have to live with some amount of buzz so be prepared for that.

So, the good news is that truss rod adjustment is a simple and reversible way to go. Just remember how much adjustment you needed to when tuning down and reverse the adjustment the same amount when tuning back up.

attachment.php

This is a very helpful post thank you!

Top Bottom