• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

bovinehost

Administrator
Lyin' Eyes by Jack Williams 166 | Free Listening on SoundCloud

I've been busy playing bass for my pal Tee Fitch, who is recording a very nice EP of 5 songs or so that I'll definitely post here soon enough. Played only Music Man basses, to no one's surprise, in a right nice studio with a totally fab engineer/producer. In my spare time, I'm still fooling around in my studio, the Scream Parlour.

I'm not the world's biggest Eagles fan. (Understatement.) But one of my bandmates IS and is always after us to play some. I once said, thinking no one would take it seriously, that I'd only play it if it was "Lying Eyes" in 3/4 and a minor key. So we actually tried it and sometimes we break it out to scare the patrons. It's very oom-pah-pah and terribly annoying. Bored one night at home, I decided to try some other stuff with the tune and this is what evolved in a martini haze.

The bass in question is my Emerald Green Sparkle Bongo 5H. Straight into a LittleMark II head and using only a 2-10 cab (thanks, Big Poppa (that I mic-d up with a Nady DM-50. Easy-peasy. I probably added some compression after the fact. I had just lowered the action on the bass so it sounds, to me, almost like a fretless which would not be me, surely. I'll have to raise it again if we ever start playing live again because I'm a caveman in a live environment.

The guitar is my almost brand new James Valentine BFR (thanks, Dargin!) which is better than any guitar you own, I'm pretty sure. I run that through a Boss GT-1 into a tiny, cheap little Fender Mustang II amp which will frighten the tube freaks but hey, I'm a bassist. I mic-d that up with an AKG C3000b, more mic than that amp ever expected to see, I'd bet. The Motel California lead was played by my buddy Andy. He's a lefty and plays NOT EBMM although he'd like to. (It's a Tele of some kind.)

Everything is me except the lead so go easy on me, I'm old and feeble and can only rock to a certain extent.

I hope you like it or at least become very annoyed with me. Either way is cool.

Cheers!

Jack

jones4tone

Dang it, Jack, that tune's in my head now! Most unexpected treatment of that song I've ever heard...

bovinehost

Administrator
Bovinehost, doing the unexpected once again, I laughed out loud!
Great work as always Jack!
Did you record the left and right guitar bits separately, or did you automate the pan?

Well first, thank you. I'm just trying to amuse myself most of the time.

I recorded the guitar bits separately, although one or two tracks did (after the fact) eventually require some panning in the mix.

jones4tone

Catchy, it is - still in my head. I've passed it along to several others, so your listen count should be climbing. :)

Top Bottom