• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

jeffjong

Hello,
I'm new to this forum and I saw another trhead about this topic, but that was already closed without giving an answer.

I have a musicman luke 3 PDN Neptune blue HSS with number G71919

When I bought my guitar I plugged the guitar in my amp (PRS SE30) and I noticed a lot of 50Hz hum on the single coils. This also appears on the in-between coil position. The humbucker is hum free. The hum disappeared when I put my fingers on the strings. I checked for a grounding problem, but couldn't measure one. It wasn't possible to put on a distortion, because that gave to much noise. I went to the studio of my friend and tested the guitar in several conditions, different amps, different cables, reversed polarity, computers off, lights out etc. We try tested it against some relic Fender Stratocasters, but the guitar gave a lot of noise compared to the others. I thought it was supposed to be very silent, because its supposed to be shielded, so I contacted the dealer. The dealer agreed to take a look at it. He couldn’t find anything but noticed something was wrong. We ended up putting new pickups (silent dimarzio blues) in it and they turned the boost back. Still the same problem but something less. I also contacted Musicman but got no response after two mails.

Next, when i opened the guitar I found a lose colourless wire witch wasn’t attached to anything.

anayone knows how to fix this?

Sorry for my English, I’m Dutch ;-)

Last edited:

beej

It's not unusual to have a bit of hum until you touch the strings. It shouldn't be too bad though ... if you've already replaced the pickups I'm not sure what else you can do. When you said the dealer found something wrong ... what was it?

Regarding the wire- there is one in the control cavity- it's there to ground the cover when you put it back on. I'm assuming that's what you're talking about.

I would encourage you to reach out to your dealer again, and then the customer service folks, since this is hard to diagnose or offer advice on without seeing the guitar in person.

jeffjong

Thanks for your answer. A bit of hum is no problem indeed. I have two other guitars (PRS Studio & Fender Highway) and they make a lot less, almost no hum. Both guitars don't give any hum when the pickups are in the inbetween position (both single coils engaged). I send an e-mail today to [email protected]. Hope he can help me out. Love the guitar though.
The dealer also said this hum was normal, he only turned the boost down.

jeffjong

I finally solved the problem. Seems that my wall outlet (?) wasn't properly grounded. After fixing that, the luke was silent even with a great amount of fuzz. I also re-installed the Original pickups. Thanks to AJ for helping me out.

csaba

Hi jeffjong, may I ask what u mean "wall outlet" ? I have same issue, might you can help, Thx

ksandvik

No ground is nasty -- same with some bars where I've played. I even saw a power brick at a local venue where the ground pin was removed (???)

csaba

Problem solved. Grounding issue with one of power lead on my pedal board. Nothing wrong with my guitar. Thanks guys and MM CS for help.

Top Bottom