• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

fbecir

The colour of your sofa is perfect for your Black Cobra Sabre.
Now you have to buy 3 other sofas for the other Sabres !!!
The Honeysuckle is my favourite.

wired

East Freetown, Massachusetts, United States
Beautiful!

So which is your favorite? Do you feel like they all play and sound the same?

The only one I could pick out blindfolded would be the Cobra. It’s about a pound heavier than the others & also sounds a little different. Fatter & a bit less sparkle. I bought all 4 within the past couple of months, can’t say I have a favorite, but the blue one is pretty much perfect.

guitarheadhunt

The only one I could pick out blindfolded would be the Cobra. It’s about a pound heavier than the others & also sounds a little different. Fatter & a bit less sparkle. I bought all 4 within the past couple of months, can’t say I have a favorite, but the blue one is pretty much perfect.

Hey wired. I saw on another thread that you said you thought the output of the pickups were comparable to that of the transition pickups. I have transitions in my Luke and my silos. The output of my Sabre comes no where near the output of those. In fact my virtual paf is hotter. To test it out I plugged straight to my interface and hit an open low e and my Sabre only registered on my Apollo x6 console software at about 27 to 25 db on the meter. My silo with the transition hit 12 db on the meter. My guitars that have more of a vintage output like my silo with the virtual paf was more like 21 to 20 db. All my guitars are hotter. I had to crank input gain another 10db to match the input of the transitions.

I was wondering. If you have the means to do so. Could you put a short guitar cable in your guitar and test the resistance you are getting. My Sabre reads 17.3K ohms. My silo with transition reads about 10k. I am just wondering what your guitar reads. I am wondering if something is wrong with my pickups. I love the sound and clarity but output seems very low to me.

Thanks

wired

East Freetown, Massachusetts, United States
Hey wired. I saw on another thread that you said you thought the output of the pickups were comparable to that of the transition pickups. I have transitions in my Luke and my silos. The output of my Sabre comes no where near the output of those. In fact my virtual paf is hotter. To test it out I plugged straight to my interface and hit an open low e and my Sabre only registered on my Apollo x6 console software at about 27 to 25 db on the meter. My silo with the transition hit 12 db on the meter. My guitars that have more of a vintage output like my silo with the virtual paf was more like 21 to 20 db. All my guitars are hotter. I had to crank input gain another 10db to match the input of the transitions.

I was wondering. If you have the means to do so. Could you put a short guitar cable in your guitar and test the resistance you are getting. My Sabre reads 17.3K ohms. My silo with transition reads about 10k. I am just wondering what your guitar reads. I am wondering if something is wrong with my pickups. I love the sound and clarity but output seems very low to me.

Thanks

I've never tested pickup resistance with a multimeter, I'll see if I can do that. My comment on comparing the Sabre pickups to the Transitions was based on how they drive & react with my amps. They definitely don't feel like low or vintage output to me & I haven't felt the need to bump the gain on any of my amps when playing the Sabres. Also sold my LIII a few months ago, so I'm going off memory.

As far as comparing with my other current guitars, the Sabre pickups definitely have more push than my Cutlass bridge HB & they feel similar in output to my Axis pickups.

Last edited:

guitarheadhunt

I've never tested pickup resistance with a multimeter, I'll see if I can do that. My comment on comparing the Sabre pickups to the Transitions was based on how they drive & react with my amps. They definitely don't feel like low or vintage output to me & I haven't felt the need to bump the gain on any of my amps when playing the Sabres. Also sold my LIII a few months ago, so I'm going off memory.

As far as comparing with my other current guitars, the Sabre pickups definitely have more push than my Cutlass bridge HB & they feel similar in output to my Axis pickups.

I know the bridge in my Sabre is nowhere near the output of the axis pickups. Those pickups are pretty hot. At least as hot as the transitions. If you put a short cable in the guitar just touch the black lead of meter to the shaft of cable end and the red to the tip. There you will see the resistance. It’s not the best test but it will at least let me know what you are getting compared to mine. If different than I need to contact Musicman.

Thanks

Top Bottom