• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

gbeason

My daughter likes her St Vincent, but she doesn't like the lack of numbers. She can adjust by ear, but she likes to track what she uses. Even though there's a ridge line on the top, it can be hard to see in some settings.

She likes the shape of the knobs. I can't find anything close to that shape with numbers or marks.

So, any suggestions? Even minimal marks would be good. I don't think the shoulder of the knobs are wide enough for using a rub off or wet slide decal.

KDude

I guess you could use a tiny stencil for numbers...maybe? I'll leave it to you whether you trust yourselves for such a project. It could be fun.

Personally, I'd just get used to the feel of them and leave it alone. The good thing is that they have a triangle shape, so maybe your daughter could just get used to adjustments by the direction of the triangle points. It's still better than, say, a Telecaster with it's round, metal knobs.

Spudmurphy

IMO you just need a visual Datum point - use a white paint to mark those great looking knobs. I think looking down gives you assurance that you have the settings where you think that they need to be - in reality, when I play live I'll go by feel and response through the amp.

spychocyco

Isn't 10 the only setting you need? :D

I'd just mark one of the triangle points with a little dash of paint for reference, then again, I never pay attention to the numbers even on my guitars that have them, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

gbeason

I was thinking of using a very light color, just enough. Just marking one triangle point might indeed do the trick. She can see where that is. Plus, I think seeing where one point on the knob is turned is easier than aligning numbers or marks with a point that's not there.

I think that's what they tried to do with the knob--there's a ridge on the top of the knob that points to one (and only one) triangle point. I've shown her that, but she's says it's not something she can see at a glance.

I have to say that I've come to really like the guitar. When she takes it with her to college, I might have to get one of my own.

KDude

I was thinking of using a very light color, just enough. Just marking one triangle point might indeed do the trick. She can see where that is. Plus, I think seeing where one point on the knob is turned is easier than aligning numbers or marks with a point that's not there.

I think that's what they tried to do with the knob--there's a ridge on the top of the knob that points to one (and only one) triangle point. I've shown her that, but she's says it's not something she can see at a glance.

I have to say that I've come to really like the guitar. When she takes it with her to college, I might have to get one of my own.

You're one awesome dad if you got it for her. She's going to be the coolest kid at that college (although I'm sure for more than just this too ;) ).

Top Bottom