• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Freddy-G.

aliendogbrain said:
Sound Chaser, By Yes. anything By Yes For That Matter!

Sound Chaser. That's the one that had me stumped.

But back then, we didn't have one of those CD players where you can change the pitch. That would've made the difference – just being able to pick the notes out.

bovinehost

Administrator
Rocky Mountain Way is easy if you use both hands....but with just one?

onehand.jpg

Freddy-G.

shaver said:
teen town

Marcus Miller does that one pretty well. Does anyone know how Marcus gets his sound (on fretted basses)? Is he slapping with his thumb or just playing really hard with his fingers?

Mobay45

Psycho Ward said:
Jack or any of you Texas boys ever hear of Buggs Henderson?

I was sitting in the bar of the Wyndam hotel in Arlington, TX a couple of weeks ago with Ray Duke and there was an open jam after the headline band played. This was during the Arlington Guitar Show weekend. I left for a few minutes and when I came back, Ray pointed to the guy on stage and said "Bugs Henderson". That's the first time I had ever seen him play live. Awesome guitar player.

shamus63

Freddy-G. said:
Marcus Miller does that one pretty well. Does anyone know how Marcus gets his sound (on fretted basses)? Is he slapping with his thumb or just playing really hard with his fingers?
My reference is to the Vic Wooten version (JP Big Band - Word of Mouth Revisited), although I'm sure Marcus played the p*ss out of it!

shamus63

phatduckk said:
i vote for anything that's not my cup of tea. Something that's not normally what i'd listen to (much less play) can throw me for a little while till i reset my mind.
+1! I usually won't even reset my mind...life's too short to play music I can't stand. :D

Silhouette

Anything by The Strokes.

Oh no wait, I'm lying!!!

On a more serious note though, I wouldn't want to try a lot of the stuff by John Myung. He's the only real six-string bass player that comes to mind quickly and the way he drifts over the fretboard just overwhelmes me. His strecthes are sick!!!

strummer

Enormous Member
:confused: What is this? :confused:

I thought we were all gear whores :confused:

And now you tell me you know SONGS :eek: Wtf!

See, I can't even do Master Blaster at 130 bpm live! That my fiends is an acceptable level of incompetence for a gear whore.

Our drummer wanted to play something by a band called fourplay, and that stuff was also crazy.

All shat stuff Wyzard of Mothers Finest did in the 70's is also out of the question. We do Mickeys Monkey, and I'm fakin' for my life.

About LaRue/Myung/pastorius/Wooten/Dickens and others: I heed the advice "Don't try this at home, the musicians performing are well-trained professionals supervised by a paying audience."

aliendogbrain

Freddy-G. said:
Sound Chaser. That's the one that had me stumped.

But back then, we didn't have one of those CD players where you can change the pitch. That would've made the difference – just being able to pick the notes out.

I wore out the pause and rewind buttons on my old cassette deck trying to learn Yes and King Crimson stuff, lol.

Top Bottom