• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

LawDaddy

Hope this isn't considered armchair-modding, but I think this thread has outlived its usefulness.

Big Poppa

I know but printed word can be taken so many ways...I have to make sure this place stays nice. The last few weeks it has been a joy

lawdaddy..yes it is armchair... but thats ok....

lefenton

BP,
You hit the nail right on the head with your response.

If the OP would trace the origins of the Warped Tour, before it became involved with corporate entities such as EBMM and Vans etc, he would realize that this tour was started by predominantly independent bands and labels as a means to promote their genre to the masses. The first few warped tours were very grassroots and was a result of a collective Do It Yourself work ethic.

That being said, it's great to see that music minded companies like EBMM are now behind this event and helping to not only promote this genre of music but also giving opportunities to less established bands to gain exposure and experience from playing a larger scale gig such as this.

I can say from my years of playing that I would have stepped over my own mother for this type of opportunity and would have carried the gear of every headlining band just for the chance to play. And I guarantee that there would have been no complaints from me or my bandmates whatsoever.

So, given the history of this event, and given the rights of passage that all the other headliners and booked acts have had to endure to get there, it seems that the expectations for water, dollies and better time slots are quite out of order. Also, regardless of where the kid's band will play next, there will undoubtedly be another instance where songs will be cut from the set to fit time constraints. It's not a form of mistreatment or a lack of respect, it's just time management. Talk less, play more.

lefenton

We have been involved with Warped since year 2! we are one of the longest running sponsors....

I was aware that you had been involved for some time now however I wasn't aware that the relationship went that far back. This is yet another indication of BP and the gang at EBMM being on the artists' side of things. They are really a company that gets "it".

If they're not making fantastic instruments for us to play, they are promoting events and providing opportunities for us to play these great instruments at.

My hat goes off to everyone at EBMM for their continual support.

kevin

Ernie Ball Customer Service
BP you should tell the story of how the Battle of the Bands came to be. Didn't it all start with a round of golf between two friends? Pretty cool concept Sterling came up with that is now the template for this sort of thing.

Big Poppa

It wasnt golf but it happened at a meeting in Thousand Oaks at a club called Sherwood Country Club. I belonged there but lived in slo and it was a pretty good meeting spot for me to get to know Kevin Lyman.

Our previous sales manager had recd a video from a new PR company that gave us a package...(This was the same pr company that was rejected...except I overruled them)
He gave me the package and had basically passed....No years late he takes credit for the Warped tour and the battle. Funny, eh?

I had wanted to give bands a chance to play live....I had wanted to do a national Battle of The Bands....WHen Kevin Lyman (founder of the Warped Tour) came and met me I presented the idea and he loved it. Jack Sonni who at the time was GUitar Centers Marketing Manager was there for the meeting as a witness to the creation of what is now the largest, longest live music promotion in the history of the business. THe old sales manager ran it pretty well but it didnt get its legs until Brian Ball took it over.

brasco68

Jack Sonni who at the time was GUitar Centers Marketing Manager was there for the meeting as a witness to the creation of what is now the largest, longest live music promotion in the history of the business.

Little side trivia...

Before his position at GC, Jack Sonni was also the 2nd guitar player in Dire Straits during the Brother in Arms world tour.

mesavox

I've played a few multi band events like this before and count me in the group who doesn't get what there is to complain about. We've never had any help moving our gear... We've had help getting stuff on and off stage because the stage hands are in a bigger hurry than we are, but never help moving stuff around backstage. It's ALWAYS hurry hurry hurry get out of the way! LOL

Also, every sound check we've ever had at a multi band event... even when we were the last to check, first to go on, the sound man is still getting the mix tweaked during the first song. These people are not familiar with our music.. even if it is cover songs, we do them differently. Can't expect them to make you sound like Shinedown.

I love the dollies thing. LOL

And no.. he isn't coming back. LOL

I know one thing, I'd love to play the Warped tour and I'll gladly put up with that "crap." LOL

TGL

Bad gigs

There are some bad multi band gigs out there. I played at one once where everyone got paid with counterfit cash! That is--if you got paid. Those guys went to jail.:eek:

There's one going on soon here where the bands have to pay to play. I don't get that one--not here where I live.

I played a battle of the bands where the winners were selected before the thing even started. I won't get into that.

I know some money guys that get a certain ammount ( from cities and municipalities) to pay bands and keep what's left over. That's pretty common.

All in all it's all part of the road to being in a band. There's allways going to be someone somewhere that will rip you off or mess you around in some way , shape or form. Deal with it!

TGL

No

No I didn't say that. I said that overall it seems like someone (as in someone) is always trying to throw a monkey wrench in a bands' plans. I know there are good guys out there who are working to help bands too. But there are bad guys lurking around. I don't think you are one of those bad guys.:)

TGL

Bad Guy example

This guy who had an album out --here in my town and was on TV (PBS) giving interviews (late 70's)--anyway I got in contact with this guy after he put an add in a trade paper for songwriters wanted-- I go to his house. He seemed like a nice enough guy and we jammed a little. He liked my songs but I wasn't too crazy about his stuff. A friend of mine also answered this guys add. He went to the guys house and somehow discovered the guy (who had the album out) had a hidden recorder and had microphones hidden in the heating ducts of his house. He was recording his jam sessions with other songwriters and was "lifting" the parts he liked. He got some of my stuff. So I guess it was too bad for me because the stuff I played him wasn't copywritten. But the fact was he ripped me off for my song parts using a hidden recorder. He used my parts to write a new song for himself. The song sucked and did nothing ---- the guy was a chump.

Top Bottom