• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

rythmicillusion

Hello Everybody,

As this is my first post here, I had sincerely hoped that it would be under more pleasant circumstances. EB has been flawless in my eyes up until this point (happily owned a Stringray for a while, have bought a million packs of slinky guitar and bass strings, etc.), and I do hope that the issue will be resolved in a mutually favorable manner.

Basically, the bandleader for this new, regular gig that I've been hired for has strongly suggested that I use a volume pedal. A 6166 has been on my shopping list for a long time, (my good friend and frequent musical collaborator has had one for years and years without issue), so this wasn't a problem :)

The first 3 or 4 days after purchasing a brand new model from a well known musical instrument's dealer, the pedal worked like a dream. Used it for a gig, a few rehearsals, and many hours of practicing without a problem. The taper switch worked (and still works) fine, there was no added noise, the input and outputs are rock solid, the pedal travel is smooth and solid. Just what I was expecting.

Then, out of the blue at a rehearsal, the pedal starts giving a fairly strong resistance during the last 3/4" of travel (going from toe to heel). When I apply the added pressure to get it fully to heel position, it makes a bit of a grinding noise. The problem is intermittent, but it happens much more frequently than not. Strangely, the volume seems to be completely muted when it hits the "wall of resistance", but is not completely muted at the same position when the "wall of resistance" disappears.

Anybody have any ideas as to what's going on? I have babied this pedal; it's been carried around in a rock solid, super cushy camera bag that I've converted into a "pedals and cables" bag. Hasn't been dropped or abused in any way.

Thanks in advance!

bkrumme

Try giving customer service a call. They're brilliant and will probably have you squared away in no time.

Just guessing here, but it sounds a bit to me like the string/spring assembly isn't lined up properly with the pot in the pedal.

Check out this video. You may not need to replace the string/spring, but Drew goes over alignment also. Fast forward to the 4:45 mark.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ2QyzReVak"]YouTube- Ernie Ball Volume Pedal Repair[/ame]

Last edited:

rythmicillusion

Thanks for the linkage, bkrumme. The part you described seemed to describe my problem dead on. Alas, the string adjustment looked exactly as the "finished product" in the video, and couldn't be adjusted further.

Before I did the adjustment, I started to notice output issues as well. Becoming very dissatisfied, very quickly. Still hopeful that I'll be able to swap it for a non-lemon or get it fixed pronto, but I'm really considering just getting my money back and shopping around for something else.

bkrumme

At this point, it's either your dealer or customer service. Glad to have helped (or at least try to help).

Spudmurphy

I've had a 6165 and had no problems with it -it's built like a tank.

However that doesn't solve your problem. If it was me - I'd go straight back to the dealer, explain the problem and he should sort it out for ya. If ya dealer causes you any problems then go to the EB customer service.
I'd stick with the product though.

rythmicillusion

Thanks for the support fellas. I decided to take the pedal back to the shop, and they gave me a new 6166 with basically no questions asked (other than queries about the actual problems encountered).

Used the "new guy" on my most important gig to date (basically a make-or-break gig with a very well known/successful regional act) and it worked like a charm. The bandleader even commented on my volume pedal skills! We'll see how this one holds up, but something about it feels more smooth to begin with. I'll be sure to post as things develop or (hopefully) don't!

ebenny

I Got It - It's A Loose Pot Shaft

The problem described is exactly what I just fixed. It has been driving me crazy.

You need a very small Allen wrench and a large paper clip bent to act as a hook.

If you go to You-Tube and search 'ernie ball volume pedal repair', there will be clear instructions on how to disassemble and reassemble the mechanisms.

Remove all four screws at the underside of the pedal base, and that will release the front panel with the inputs as well as the mounting for the potentiometer. The whole spring and chord system will fall apart, and that is fine.

Although removing the pedal from the base makes it easier to remove the pot mounting, I do not recommend it because putting it back together is a real drag.

Look at the brass spool, on the pot shaft, that the chord was wrapped around. It has a small Allen screw hole that keeps it tight on the potentiometer's shaft. Try moving it past the limits of the pot's full turn in each direction. I'll bet it is a bit loose, and sticky. That is the strange resistance you have been feeling. As the semi-loose spool turns, it sometimes catches and sometimes slips. That is wear on the shaft that has progressed over time, but it will work like new after you tighten it.

Now tighten that baby real good!

Follow the You-Tube instructions for reassembly, and be patient with yourself.

Top Bottom