• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Lost In Space

The tone push/push pot on my 2013 LIII is not catching and I need to get a new pot.

I read through some of the posts and see some people replacing with push/pull or other non EBMM part. I really do not care if push/push or pull. I just want to get it fixed and last.

The EBMM part is about 15 bucks, so no big deal. I just am a little concerned that the guitar has almost no usage and the pot is flaky already and don't want to be repeating this on a regular basis if I can help it.

So looking for advice if to try the EBMM pot again or just go with something else (and if so, what?).

Also, not sure my soldering skills are up to snuff for this with the preamp, so any ballpark figures on what I should pay in labor to get the new pot soldered in (sorry if I am not suppose to ask $ questions, then just disregard this part)

TIA

tbonesullivan

before you do that, unscrew the knob and remove it. Sometimes the shaft slips a bit inside the knob, meaning when you push it down you can't get it go to down far enough to latch/unlatch.

You also said the pot is flaky, does this mean it's scratchy, or does it have other issues?

I also had this problem with my L3 when I got it. Opened it up and found that there's a plastic tab on the side of the body of the potentiometer. When I'd hold that tab in, the knob would lock in the down position, so I wrapped a zip tie around the pot. Doesn't look pretty but it works.

Lost In Space

before you do that, unscrew the knob and remove it. Sometimes the shaft slips a bit inside the knob, meaning when you push it down you can't get it go to down far enough to latch/unlatch.

You also said the pot is flaky, does this mean it's scratchy, or does it have other issues?

Yes, I tried adjusting the knob height but did not work. The pot works fine except for the not locking down. I tried spraying the pot with some cleaner. Worked for a few tries and now won't engage again.

Lost In Space

I also had this problem with my L3 when I got it. Opened it up and found that there's a plastic tab on the side of the body of the potentiometer. When I'd hold that tab in, the knob would lock in the down position, so I wrapped a zip tie around the pot. Doesn't look pretty but it works.

I saw that plastic tab when cleaning the pot. I don't care what it looks like if it works. Will try it tonight. THANKS!!!!

Cenobyte

I replaced that pot on a PDN red sparkle L3 once after knocking it/bending it when it was in the out position. I just called EBMM and got them to send me the part, took it to my guy and he replaced it, no issues after that... it wasn't my go to guitar or anything, but I used it for a good few years after that fix, no issues... actually traded it late last year for a PRS. :p

Think my guy charged me 40 bucks CAD to install the thing (about 30 usd)... I'd rather pay the cash to someone who's good with this stuff than screw around with a soldering gun on a tiny motherboard. If all else fails, go this route... it will also help retain the guitars value, replacing broken bits with non factory parts kind of hurts these things in the resale/trade market. If you plan on keeping it forever, then obviously that's different.

My original post about this: http://forums.ernieball.com/ernie-ball-music-man-guitars/62474-luke-iii-tone-knob-issues.html

Lost In Space

I replaced that pot on a PDN red sparkle L3 once after knocking it/bending it when it was in the out position. I just called EBMM and got them to send me the part, took it to my guy and he replaced it, no issues after that... it wasn't my go to guitar or anything, but I used it for a good few years after that fix, no issues... actually traded it late last year for a PRS. :p

Think my guy charged me 40 bucks CAD to install the thing (about 30 usd)... I'd rather pay the cash to someone who's good with this stuff than screw around with a soldering gun on a tiny motherboard. If all else fails, go this route... it will also help retain the guitars value, replacing broken bits with non factory parts kind of hurts these things in the resale/trade market. If you plan on keeping it forever, then obviously that's different.

My original post about this: http://forums.ernieball.com/ernie-ball-music-man-guitars/62474-luke-iii-tone-knob-issues.html

Thanks for this!!!!!

I saw another posting that said his push pot was on the tone side but was NOT soldered to the board. I literally was getting ready to return my LIII because I thought it was going to be big bucks to either find someone to solder it OR that I actually needed to get a new preamp assy/pot. I am glad to find out it is possible to just replace the pot.

Top Bottom