• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Junta

Hi folks

Short version: I need to block the trem (completely) with one of these guitar so I can at least do Drop D quick and fast! Which one?

You guys are also the pick up experts - which one in your opinion is more suitable for heavier genres?

I would appreciate your input!

And the longer version: No more Les Paul :eek:... Hurts even an amateur to be cut off from history of guitar greatness... :(

But...:rolleyes:

I have arrived here, ladies and gentlemen: All MusicMan sunburst line up! :cool::D:cool:

4MMGuitars.jpg

I have a fever, and the only cure is more sunburst!...

The discontinued 'Reflex' is sitting on the throne, but don't let that fool you, it is only because it is the latest addition to the family. The HH Albert Lee rules this family!

I said good-bye to a good friend (on the left) - my first North American made guitar, my only Gibson... 2014 Les Paul Studio Pro with upgraded locking Grover tuners:
IMG_2869small.jpg

Oh yeah, I had to let go of the Schecter Keith Merrow mk-II 7 string too (in the middle). Though that was more of transactional thing than emotional, if you know what I mean... Not the Albert Lee HH of course... That thing will always remain my no:1! I love it to pieces...

So no more Gibson Les Paul. The guitar is gone, but memories and my sweet nothing metal songs (amateur here :p!) will stay - with the 2014 Studio Pro:
https://soundcloud.com/user-234938607%2Fhair-metal-v2
and here is a heavier one :)!
https://soundcloud.com/user-234938607%2Fslope-to-metal-ii
I have been using the Albert Lee HH for a few years now, and I am much more familiar with what it can and cannot do. But I just got the Reflex after trading in my 2 metal guitars, and I am just beginning to discover its character. Of course, I will obsess for hours and do my A/B tests by recording myself.

But what do you think? Does anyone use the Reflex here for heavier genres?

Cheers :)!

Last edited:

Junta

Thanks for that link! So that’s the son! Cool - he sure made that Lee sound good.

But that Armada! It is physically a bit big for what I am used to... but man is it ever a great guitar!

So you are recommending the AL... ok, cheers!

KDude

Technically speaking, I'd say the Reflex/Axis pickups are hot PAF styled. You could play anything on them, but a purist wouldn't call them metal pickups, which are almost twice as hot. I'd suggest getting a set suited for it. But please, don't put them in the Reflex. It's awesome as it is. And they're hard to find these days.

Last edited:

Junta

OK, so the sunburst is hard to find you say..! I was happy with my score, because it was new, and at a major discount... Me likes! Cheers!

KDude

OK, so the sunburst is hard to find you say..! I was happy with my score, because it was new, and at a major discount... Me likes! Cheers!

Yeah, I just got a black one myself.. but Gold and Sunburst are nowhere to be found. Not that I'm complaining, but I might've gotten one of those first.

Pott

I always used my Albert HH for heavier styles. My go-to pickups for this guitar is the Bareknuckle Rebel Yell, which add bite and power to the guitar. The stock pickups, or at least the older DiMarzio ones (in-case these have changed) were also fantastic mind you, and yes, even for heavier genres. But the BK just add more of everything and keep the general character of the guitar.

headcrash

Junta, if you ever decide to swap pickups on one those two guitars, sell me the ones you're taking out :)

I play heavier music with my guitars, all of them have that DImarzio custom Axis pickup on the bridge and it just rips.

KDude

I could be wrong, but I believe Rebel Yells are even less hot than the Dimarzios (similar though).

I don't think you're going to improve upon the Dimarzios without going in the 20k+ range and/or active. But then, it's just going to be niche and sound like poop on anything but metal :D And niche guitars suck (imho). Best to have versatile and get in the ballpark.

Junta

I agree with you, I might stay with the stock DiMarzios and just fully dock the trem.

xjbebop

That's the other reason I'd recommend the AL... not only is it capable, but I sure wouldn't want to mod that Reflex at all...
I've modded just about every one on my AL's to some extent, and I have a few... ;)

Fro

I believe you are correct. They have the same pickups.

Top Bottom