• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

coldsummer

Good evening guys.

I changed the strings on my AL HH today and the high E constantly goes slightly flat. It could of course be a duff string, but if not, could it be the tuning peg?

It's never happened before and it seems a coincidence that it has happened after a string change but I wonder if the tuner was on the way out if changing the string has cased it to finally give up?

Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions/remedies would be most welcome. I could always swap one over from one of my other ALs to check but I thought I'd see if anyone has any other ideas.

Thanks guys.

ch_seyler

I've got the same issue ... Two sets of ernie ball cobalt 10-46 ... the high E string goes flat after a few bend. What i can see, the string seems being unwiring near the string ball.

Bad batch of strings ? That was the first time i used Cobalt strings ... I'm a little bit disappointed :(

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Unwinding near the ball end is very unusual. In 25 years, I don't think I've encountered it more than once or twice.

But if it's two strings from different sets would be crazy unusual so I be careful to eliminate a problem at the tuners first (which causes 99% of these problems). If you have locking tuners, the locking thumb screw may not be tight enough. If they are standard non-locking tuners, try one of the winding techniques designed to lock the string in place. Try a google search for "guitar string locking technique". It can make a big difference, particularly with 9 and 10 gauge strings which are the most prone to slipping on the tuning post. Also make sure it's a not a problem with the tuner gears - the post itself could be slipping (though that would also be very unusual).

If the string is indeed unwinding bring the guitar and strings back to the dealer, let them check it out, and they should replace they should replace the strings for you free of charge if that is indeed the problem. BTW, re: Cobalt sets, the cobalt is only used on the wound strings, the plain strings are the same strings as regular Slinky sets which are super reliable so don't be too hard on the Cobalts. :)

ch_seyler

I suspected the tuners first (i switchted to locking tuner at the same time that i tried the cobalt string). But, after to put all strings in tunes and cutting them .... after some bend on the high E, it gone flat. So after some retune, some bend, some retune ... I just noticed that the string was longer.
On a new string, the string is wrapped on itself (near the ball) on more or less 1cm ... After my issue, this part was reduced to few millimeters.

Here is a picture of both strings. The topone was new (the second one before installing it). As i said, after installing the second one, i noticed the same issue wiht that one too

photo.jpg

I will go to my reseller tomorrow to see what he can do. BTW, i NEVER got such things with any strings ! So for a 10€ strings pack... few hours before a performance ... i'm not happy (to stay polite)

Last edited:

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
The picture won't display. Can you post it another way?

Anyway, yes your dealer should replace the strings. If the strings are defective then you're covered under the Ernie Ball warranty.

BTW, where do you buy Cobalts at €10? That's a lot cheaper than I can get them in France. :)

Top Bottom