• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

VAiN

Anyone have this problem? I have an EVH model, and the high E string always gets snagged under the neck pick-up. Should I file down the edge of the pick-up? Anyone have any thoughts?

VAiN

Norrin Radd

Could you post some pics? Maybe it has something to do with the way your guitar is set up? Sure would be a lot easier to analyze with some pics (at least for someone of my limited analytical capabilities!).

Mick

Hm your PUP should be lower than the fretboard so you´d need a major pick attack to push the string under the PUP.

If this is not the case try some Gaffa Tape to shelter the windings
Mick

Norrin Radd

Mick said:
Hm your PUP should be lower than the fretboard so you´d need a major pick attack to push the string under the PUP.

If this is not the case try some Gaffa Tape to shelter the windings
Mick

That's why I wanted a pic - on the EVH the PUs are screwed right to the body - not height adjustable. You're right, it could just be playing technique. Hard to tell - wish I could see it.

MikeVt

VAiN said:
Anyone have this problem? I have an EVH model, and the high E string always gets snagged under the neck pick-up. Should I file down the edge of the pick-up? Anyone have any thoughts?

VAiN

Just a hunch, but is this happening when you dive bomb with the trem? If so, isn't this why guys like Dime & Vai put tape on the bottom edge of their pickups? If this happens with normal playing, it does sounds a bit odd.

Mike

Jimi D

It's happened to me a couple of times - I don't think there's much for it except to be careful when using the trem and performing Pete Townsend's patented "windmilling" technique :D

Sigmunds Couch

Someone in the know correct me if I am wrong, but that is a reason the Axis neck was widened slightly from the EVH. I have an EVH and it happens to me on occasion also. It's just an inherent characteristic of the EVH neck.

DaveB

As someone else mentioned do the Dime trick. Put a small piece of gaffa tape on the neck pickup so the string cant get trapped underneath.

Works a treat!

Dave

peat

if youre gonna go for the tape job
make sure its fluoro green as a tribute to vai :)

tommyindelaware

this is a common occurance w/ all exposed coil guitars. the lighter gauge string u use....the easier it is for this to occur.
u can..
1.change yer technique
2.lower yer pickup
3.put a cover on the pickup
4.use a piece of tape from the top & side of the pickup down to the guitar top to act like a guard..to prevent the string from hooking under the bobbin........like steve via does(yes he really does...:p )

VAiN

Thanks guys, as stated, it happens mostly when the trem is used. I have a rather hard attack which doesn't help either. I'll try the tape idea.... anyone know where I can find this gaffa tape?

VAiN

brentrocks

MikeVt said:
Just a hunch, but is this happening when you dive bomb with the trem? If so, isn't this why guys like Dime & Vai put tape on the bottom edge of their pickups? If this happens with normal playing, it does sounds a bit odd.

Mike

i never thought of that, nor has it ever happened to me, but i could see how it could happen.

i would think it would break the string if it got caught under the pickup?

that is a wierd thing to happen...:confused:

welcome to the froum, by the way!! lets see some pics of that EVH!!!!

Last edited:

mbgreene

VAiN said:
Thanks guys, as stated, it happens mostly when the trem is used. I have a rather hard attack which doesn't help either. I'll try the tape idea.... anyone know where I can find this gaffa tape?

VAiN

Real gaffer's tape is used in the film/theater industries and can be found in theatrical supply stores (and on line of course). It's a fabric based tape used by electricians (gaffers) usually comes in 1"-4" rolls in a variety of colors, primarily black. Some people use duct tape, which is stickier and gummier, as a substitute for some applications (securing cable etc.) but I wouldn't use it here. You could also use vinyl electrical tape.

Good Luck

dwf1004

Sigmunds Couch said:
Someone in the know correct me if I am wrong, but that is a reason the Axis neck was widened slightly from the EVH. I have an EVH and it happens to me on occasion also. It's just an inherent characteristic of the EVH neck.

Give this man a cookie, as you are correct, sir. :)

fsmith

There was a video of John Petrucci that I saw that during a soundcheck where he was playing a Maiden song and it looked like he purposely tucked the high e string under the pickup. The guy was filming John and he gave the guy his pick to strum while he fingered the chords.

It was a video made by the German fan club and they followed the band around for a day. Pretty cool stuff.

fred

Top Bottom