• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Klimax

I own a sterling Ernie ball HH. The H models have 3 way pickup switch (parallel, serie and filter)and they keep the same output.

I modded my HH to have parallel instead of serie but I have a huge drop on output as expected. So what’s the trick to have the same output? Should I add a resistance, capacitor or something else?

thanks

mynan

I'm no electronics expert, but from what I understand the "trick" is in the preamp. The preamp on the Sterling HH is designed to work with the ceramic pickups wired in series...even to the point where the middle position (3) on the pickup selector switch doesn't have a volume drop despite all 4 coils being parallel. I seem to recall discussions of the preamps for different EBMM models being "voiced" for their particular pickup magnet and wiring combinations, so you may want to look for an aftermarket preamp that is designed to work with the pickup setup that you are going for.

tbonesullivan

I own a sterling Ernie ball HH. The H models have 3 way pickup switch (parallel, serie and filter)and they keep the same output.

I modded my HH to have parallel instead of serie but I have a huge drop on output as expected. So what’s the trick to have the same output? Should I add a resistance, capacitor or something else?

thanks
Which positions are you seeing the most volume drop in? Are you sure it is wired correctly? I believe some of the pickup wiring is done on the actual preamp board, not just with the switch, so if everything wasn't done correctly, there will be volume drop.

There also should be some volume drop in certain positions due to phase cancellation. I have a Sterling 5HS, and some positions are definitely lower in output than others.

It is also possible that the preamps used in the stingray have some built in volume compensation due to using parallel wiring for some positions. You'd have to ask EBMM to find out.

Klimax

Thanks or the answers. I Think mynan is right. There is probably a boost on preamp on the H models to compensate the serie/parallel and the HH one don’t need it cause unfortunately all positions are series.

I hope my solders are good.

Here’s my mod guide

F2D2B699-2F1C-4710-B254-322574419EAF.jpeg

Top Bottom