• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

AgustinJP50

Hi guys! I've been looking at pictures from listings of Polar Noir Majestys, and I noticed that the laser etching doesn't look quite the same on all of them. For example, in these pictures there's more contrast between the color of the body and the color of the laser etching Ernie Ball MusicMan John Petrucci Majesty in Polar Noir Piezo | eBay
In these pictures however, the laser etching seems to be darker, and there's not such a noticeable contrast :( :( Ernie Ball Music Man John Petrucci " Majesty " Polar Noir Electric Guitar s 1125 | eBay
Is this difference a common thing in the laser etching process? Or was it done intentionally? (Maybe the first batches were done like the one in the first link and then they decided to make it darker). It would be great if any of the CS guys could chime in!
Thanks a lot!

QuietSpike

Are you sure that is not just the lighting?

I don't know either way, so I shouldn't even comment... but the lighting looks different in those pics.

MrJJoncas

I know they changed it from the protos who were at namm last year and the production model. They made it more like a burst, with black edge on the production model.

AgustinJP50

Yes, I thought about the lighting too, but they seem to be way too different.
Hmm, that's good to know, I wonder if they changed it once again between the first batches and the latest ones.
The serial of the Majesty in the first link is somewhere in the 700s IIRC, and the serial of the one in the second link is somewhere in the 1100s.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Having done a PhD developing new laser sources and some small amount of industry consltancy, I can tell you that I would expect laser etching to be extremely consistent. However, I can't tell you how consistently different pieces of wood will take the laser power, or if EBMM just decided to change something along the way, and I can't rule out differences in photography/lighting either.

orion_21

I think the Laser part is - well - a laser, so no variation. Wood moisture, etc will vary but ebmm checks that as well within a certain window.

drewbixcubed

That's not the laser at all. The laser does the CF pattern, not the burst of color.

I would chalk the difference in the 2 images shown to lighting on the pics.... but I can also tell you that it is a burst of paint over maple, which can vary some, but we do our best to keep things as consistent as possible.

Top Bottom