• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

whitestrat

I've told this before, and I'll tell it again.

My introduction to EBMM was not related to any artist. In fact, I was into JP when he was with Ibanez (Images & Words). EVH was a bit later, when I realised he's using a tele-looking guitar with a floyd in the F.U.C.K. album.

No. I started one fine (almost 15 years ago) day walking into the local dealer's shop, and seeing a gorgeous Silhouette in black sparkle, and heavy birdseye maple neck/fretboard, pearloid guard and natty headstock. Amongst all the Tom Andersons, Ibanezes, Fenders and Gibsons around it, I thought that was the most beautiful guitar I had ever seen. (I wish I could custom order this. I'd be all over this in a jiffy!!!!).

I didn't know what it was at that time. All I knew is I wanted to have it. But when I finally got round to getting enough cash, it was sold.

So, when I was ready, I went after the JP6 as a no.1 choice. And tried to relive that Silhouette dream once again, but that didn't turn out too nice. So, 3 20th Anniversary Silos and a few more balls later, I'm still gassing for that elusive 1st Silo

Now, I can pretty much afford any EBMM (minus Mr Horsepower and Global Warming)... But This is the one EBMM I truely desire, but cannot have...:(

Geno_xl

I had the Van Halen Right here Right now live video (which I watched about a million times) and fell in love with the EVH signature models.

Later, I saw Sammy Hagar on David Letterman playing the red EVH model and knew that was the "one" for me.

Several years later I finally got to try one out at a local guitar center and loved how it played.

awesome memories!

fbecir

My first contact with EBMM was with the advertisments for EVH guitar in the US guitar magazines. But I do not like EVH music thus it did not interest me.
Later on, I discovered Steve Morse (especially with High Tension Wires). I became a Morse addict. Thus, for my 30 birthday I decided to buy a EBMM Steve Morse.
Welcome to the addiction ...

andynpeters

The girl singer used to wear a lot of purple.....EBMM appeared to be the only company making a left handed purple guitar so I ordered one.......sadly when it arrived it was darker than I'd imagined (my fault of course, inadequate research!!)......still been using it since '99 though as it's a fine instrument.
Unlike almost everyone here, I've never consciously seen or heard any of the EBMM endorsees play (with the exception of Albert Lee & his model doesn't come left handed) so was not influenced by personality. One of my many odd quirks is that I wouldn't want a guitar with someone else's signature on it....I even wish manufacturers wouldn't slap their logo on the headstock, but that's a lost cause for sure.

Last edited:

alf cockle

I was a non musician at the time,and was killing time in Steve*s music store in Toronto.My uncle had asked me to find out what he could get for some of his vintage guitars,so,being the good nephew,blah blah,blah.As luck would have it,I encountered a mature,patient salesman,and he filled me in...at the same time pointing out a couple of Musicman guitars hanging safely up in the stratosphere .He said they were the best guitars out there,and that he had 2 and wanted more.What really got me was a brown sparkle axis sport,rosewood neck..I couldn*t figure out if it was really ugly,or beautifully homely.I took up guitar playing,and my first Ball was a sil special...to be followed by several axis sports,and an albert.Thanks Seth at Steve*s.I love those Gueetars..never did see another brown sport..too bad..I want it.

Butch Snyder

I had been aware of EBMM since my high school days in the early 80's. The school owned a Sting Ray. I was a band admin my senior year and I also played bass in the Jazz band. I used the Sting Ray. Playing it, I almost converted to playing bass full-time.

I had been a fan of Albert Lee since the early 80's too. When I first saw his EBMM sig model, I was aghast. What happened to the Teles?!? It took me a few, no - several years for that model to grow on me. Actually, It took me buying his "Highlights" DVD.

Before that though, I was really into Steve Morse. He was someone I could really get into because he had Rock, Fusion, Jazz, Country, and all kinds of styles within his own style. That's the way I wanted to play. I was listening to "The Introduction", on vinyl, back in 85 and my brother came in with a Guitar mag. The ad was basically this one...

l_3c51465a5d5911fd7bdb08d8dcac6835.jpg

I saw that pic and thought - Wow! Someone did get it right. That guitar looked amazing! EBMM took his FrankenTele and made it into a totally new design and it was soooo clean-looking. I was hooked ever since. I just couldn't afford them until now :rolleyes: Not that they're terribly expensive, I just couldn't.

I gotta admit though, as far as Luke's sig. model goes, I like his Valley Arts guitars better...:D

Axilla

EVH way back in the 90ies was when I first saw a MusicMan guitar. Still a late teen back then, I didn't have any dought for that.
Discovered later in the nineties, that Luke had an EBMM signature model - same problem with cash back then.
A few years ago - me back in guitars after some years of almost complete absense, I got to see / touch / try the Translucent Teal Silhouette of our forumite Mick, who is my luthier/tech at the same time. That guitar really turned me on and it was set on finding one. Found one really beatup early nineties Silo Special in Pearl Purple that was a good basis, but bad technical condition and had that neck redressed, refretted, new nut, pickguard, PUs, whatever...
...this has become sort of an addiction for me. Buying Silhouette Specials for restauration and pimping purposes :)
The play-at-home days are over now, since I was invited to play in a band in January this year for pure fun and getcha-heads-free-from-work purpose. My Silos get alotta playing love since...

mr.b

dare i say it: use to use slinky's so that was my first encounter with the balls then came EVH with his signature. i still kick myself to this day for not purchasing the pink EVH i played in sound control all those years ago when they first appeared.

my first ball came when i bought a mint honey axis. it was wicked. heavy flame body and neck. never seen one like it again. stupidly sold it.

just glad i now have the sweetest axis ever and loaded JP!!!

DavidOfOz

(1) In the mid 1990s discovered that Luke had a signature model with a company that I knew little about at the time (ie EBMM). Figured that if this company was good enough for Luke, it had to be way-more-than-good-enough for me. Researched the company. Decided to start saving up for an EBMM Luke.

(2) In the mid 2000s discovered that a good friend's son was an EBMM fan, and particularly a fan of Silos and ALs. (The kid was possibly heavily influenced by his guitar teacher who owns many ALs.) This reminded me that I was meant to be saving for a Luke. Started saving all over again.

(3) Discovered you guys...you're all a bad, bad influence on me. ;)

threeminutesboy

dare i say it: use to use slinky's so that was my first encounter with the balls then came EVH with his signature. i still kick myself to this day for not purchasing the pink EVH i played in sound control all those years ago when they first appeared.

my first ball came when i bought a mint honey axis. it was wicked. heavy flame body and neck. never seen one like it again. stupidly sold it.

just glad i now have the sweetest axis ever and loaded JP!!!

Almost same route not a big EVH fan but played a pink one in mid ninties that I wanted but was unable to afford

bougt a 1996 Axis Sunburst in 2003 that was great but sold it because the floyd is a pain in a** then got ASS MM90 and ASS Hardtail and EVH Hardtail and the Luke and the Albert and the ASS Piezo and an Axis Sport is on it's way to me :)

Sold the silo cause I'm way more comfortable with either LUKE, Albert or Axis neck

Assumer

Was looking at a local guitar shop and they had just picked up MM. I picked up one, (axis SS) in righty and even upside down it felt great.

paranoid70

I had been aware of Music Man since I first saw the Rolling Stones on the Steel Wheels tour. Plus I had always used Ernie Ball Super Slinkys since I started playing in the mid 80s.

In the early 90s, I discovered Steve Morse's music and became a huge fan. However, I had a decent Strat and never thought to upgrade until I was almost 30. I really didn't play much in my mid-late 20s as I was raising a family, going to grad school, buying a fixer upper home.....

After grad school I thought about getting a MM, but I figured they were out of my budget. Plus, MMs were not too easy to find with the exception of the EVH/Axis models. (I am more of a Strat-type body shape player). Maybe if the SUB1 line was introduced at the time I would have got one of those???? Petrucci was another guitar hero at the time, so I went the Ibanez route - he switched to EBMM later that year.

It wasn't until one day at Guitar Center that I played a LUKE and totally fell in love with it. I had just bought the Ibanez, so I figured I should be happy with what I got. After a few years I caved in and bought a Silhouette Special on-line without ever playing one. Best guitar purchase I ever made. I sure wish I found one of these when I bought that Ibanez.

BTW, last spring I traded my Ibanez to a guy on Craigslist for his SUB1. It was an OK guitar, but as they say, "Balls are best".

beachjammer

I saw EVH playing them and also knew that Steve Morse played them. I'd made a trip to Nashville with my bands manager to buy equipment in the early 90's and went into Corner Music. They were a EBMM dealer and I picked up a silohette to try out. I went into what they called "the lab" which was full of rack gear and cabs. They told me it was sound proof. I noticed people going by the glass smiling as I was ripping out the solo to Mr. Crowley but didn't think too much of it until my manager came in laughing. Needless to say it wasn't sound proof:O) The guitar was killer but I didn't have the money to get it. Then my old bass player ordered a Stingray bass. It was an AWESOME bass! Finally when I saw the Dream Theater Live Scenes From NY DVD I knew I had to get one. A local store had become a dealer and had a JP in stock. I played it, saved my pennies and ordered one!

D.K.

As a big Deep Purple fan I've bought their '96 "Live at Paris" in the same year. I was absolutely blown away by his playing, and you know how it works when You are a teeny - this guy is the best in the world, so his guitar has to be the best in the world too.

Well, I have found one to try out 2 years (!) later - and it was just such a great instrument.

Then, after seeing DP live in Cologne for the first time in 1999 I knew I would have to have this blue Morse model. 3 months later I have found one used (the one I still have and will, I believe, never get rid of), and have never looked back since. In fact, I'm playing this exact guitar right now as I'm typing this reply...

whatthefetch

I purchased my EVH on impulse after not playing for at least 14 years. I had stumbled on one on ebay and remembered how much I wanted one when they came out in the early 90's, but couldn't afford it. I ended up with a mint condition EVH and the rest is history. I have owned quite a few guitars and for my taste you just can't beat the quality, feel and tone of EBMM!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom