• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Jazzbassman23

I know HOW to do it, but I'm wondering how you guys set the pickup height and whether or not you angle the pickup. For reference, I'm considering my Sterling H which I've angled the pickup lower on the E-string side. Volume seems to be even across all four strings, but it's hard for these old ears to tell.

Monahan

Typically, I leave the pickups set in accordance with MM's spec sheet. Then I only adjust to balance the volume if one side is louder than the other. MM's setup specs can be found on its website under the FAQ section.

Rod Trussbroken

Adjust in play position: seated with instrument on lap.
While depressing E string at last fret (pickup end of neck), measure 4/32 inches from bottom of string to top of pickup magnet.
Do same with G string but aim for 3/32 inches (plus or minus) for even volume across all four strings.

kevins

Raise or lower till it sounds good, I got the screw by the neck a little closer and the screw by the bridge a little further and I actually keep the g level cause I tend to have the pickups closer to the strings and the closer you have then the less the tilt matters. Measure string distance from the last fret and write it down before changing anything, if you’re struggling with it, set it back to factory. After a while you’ll start to hear what each adjustment does in regards to the shape of the sound, and each time you adjust it will take less time. First times a bear though it takes days lol

Jazzbassman23

Thanks for the feedback. I eliminated the angle and went to 3/32". Sounds great, but like so many things, it's probably going to be a work in progress.

Rod Trussbroken

Thanks for the feedback. I eliminated the angle and went to 3/32". Sounds great, but like so many things, it's probably going to be a work in progress.
Don't forget that the G string is thinner than the E string. IMO the G side should be closer to the pickup magnet for that string (plus or minus for even volume). But in the end it's what you hear when doing adjustments. and works for you. :)

Golem

As low as possible, with consideration for a bit of tilt for bass to treble side balance.

Top Bottom