• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Twang Banger

My amps model a PRRI and VIBROLUX perfectly. Amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbjonz

HOWEVER, once I discovered Austin Buddy, Moke, and a handful of others that do the work of making everything sound authentic (even EVH tone) for not very much coin, I tried AB’s tone pack. Awesome. Very, very little tweaking. Drop it in, pick your favorites, and plug it into whatever you want. Sounds great. Just my experience.

I just bought AB's Dream Rigs package for my AX8 and couldn't be happier. And I agree that very little tweaking is needed--sounded great out of the (virtual) box. The vintage Fender sounds are great but I'm really digging the Dumble and Suhr amps.

Wahoonc

The vintage Fender sounds are great but I'm really digging the Dumble and Suhr amps.

The Dumble, Suhr, Friedman, and EVH amps from that pack are incredible. The Fender 6G4 Super (Brownface) is also now one of my favorites.

Ishmun

I've got an AXE FX2 and a Helix LT. Definitely a game changer for live shows - so easy to make presets and light and easy to set up (imo there's nothing worse than trouble shooting issues whilst setting up on stage - whether a cable is unplugged, etc). Also, with these units there is zero noise - a huge part of the equation esp if you play with a heap of gain.

These days my live rig is the Helix which goes into a Matrix Power Amp and a Matrix NL12 - the Matrix stuff is my stage 'monitor' so I can get the FEEL on stage; and then I send a Direct signal to FOH which makes things much easier, consistent and faster when dealing with sound guys.

When comparing amps to modeled amps on the Axe/Helix - there is a small difference in FEEL; but listening back, I cannot tell the difference.

I'd 100% recommend trying out the modeling route - even if you only want to use 1 amp (like I do on the Helix). Just remember, you don't have to use the advanced parameters, just follow your ears :)

RJKANEAO

I use them at smaller gigs where having a full-fledged amp is a bit much. I have a helix but rarely ever use it outside the studio I use a few different Cab/Amp émulation pedals with single pedals that are amazing and don’t break the bank. Digitech Cab DryVR is Cab Sim that can be used for Bass or Guitar and is great. NUX makes a Solid Studio which is more in-depth and has both the amp and Cab sections. You can choose mics, mic placements, tubes, amp types and whatever cabs. The plus is also you can capture a tone print/IR of whatever amp love and have access to. The one I used the most is the Mooer Radar! It’s all digital and can be easily edited and programmed via usb and your computer. Another great thing is you can use IR loaders. There’s pedals all have great reviews on YouTube. My fave on the Radar is the BassMan 4x10 Aloha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrickGlass

AxeFx II into two Atomic CLR active wedges. Absolutely incredible sounding. Could never go back to a real amp. I have dialed in dozens of various amps on my AxeFx and they all sound so damn good. The CLR's are great for live use if you want to push some volume on stage. I run one output into the CLR's and another straight to the mixing board.

Lax

Live I usually plug straight to the PA system and get wedges monitors on the ground.
I focus on listening the band rather than the smallest details of my sound, to give my best performance tho I wear ear protection (that kills part of the sound too).
But I have a new wireless system and I'm yet to buy in-ears with at least 2 drivers, and maybe things will change.

At the end of the day, my front of house sound is way more important than the sound or the moving air I can get :) Audience first !

Astrofreq

You guys are really intriguing me and I can certainly see the points of ease of setup being a great thing. My next question is: how good are the effects? I'm an analog guy (except reverb), so I'm skeptical on how warm the effects sounds. I had an Eventide H9 and Strymon Mobius, but didn't keep either because they just didn't have the warmth of my analog pedals. It was just night and day. How does the Axe-FXIII stand up in this realm?

For instance, on my Boss DM-3 analog delay, I can make those spaceship sounds at any given time by turning knobs. Can a modeler recreate that? That's just an example. Thanks.

wesman11483

You guys are really intriguing me and I can certainly see the points of ease of setup being a great thing. My next question is: how good are the effects? I'm an analog guy (except reverb), so I'm skeptical on how warm the effects sounds. I had an Eventide H9 and Strymon Mobius, but didn't keep either because they just didn't have the warmth of my analog pedals. It was just night and day. How does the Axe-FXIII stand up in this realm?

I don't have any AXE-FX experience, but the 11R ones aren't bad. I used to have an H9 as well and also felt that it lacked warmth...it sounded okay to my ears, but always sounded a little more sterile than I like in a delay. I had a Strymon El Cap that I liked...but foolishly let her go (goes on the list of pedal regrets alongside my JHS Pink Panther v1)

Currently I have a TC Electronics D-Two delay unit in the FX Loop of my 11R, but am starting to play with some of the delay sounds in the box. To me, it seems to depend on the amp sim you are using and what sound you are looking for.

And you hit the nail on the head with "ease of setup" see attached

Attachments

• 47299215_10161278856605596_1264117263007481856_n.jpg
    47299215_10161278856605596_1264117263007481856_n.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:

vic_loher

The effects on my Helix floor model are pretty much everything I could ask for. Very happy with it. I've had it since they first came out.

jones4tone

You guys are really intriguing me and I can certainly see the points of ease of setup being a great thing. My next question is: how good are the effects? I'm an analog guy (except reverb), so I'm skeptical on how warm the effects sounds.

Don't fall for the false dilemma - you can use modeler/profiler and your pedal board. If you like the effects on your board, run them in the front of the modeler. Can't speak for the AxeFX (assume it's the same) but the Kemper has an effects loop - stereo, if you want it - so you don't lose that option either. Pick the right amp, EQ, gain and cab for every song, and use your pedals as usual.

texas2step

Fractal AX8 direct to PA with my Cutlass and Luke. I'm done with hauling around heavy tube amps and pedalboards. The slight improvement analog may have over digital these days isn't worth a trip to the chiropractor.

mikeller

For instance, on my Boss DM-3 analog delay, I can make those spaceship sounds at any given time by turning knobs. Can a modeler recreate that? That's just an example. Thanks.

Short answer is YES I think.....and you can control the oscillation by assigning a controlling parameter to the expression pedal.... see this video, is that what you are referring to? I have seen more out of control oscillations besides this

BrickGlass

Of all the modelers I think the AxeFx stuff is by far the best in the realm of effects. I did side by side comparisons of my pedals and the imitations on the AxeFx and it was nearly impossible to tell the difference. Just had to dial them in correctly. Ended up selling my entire pedal board.

Bryan

I was using a Mesa Dual Rectifier for years and loved it. But volume became an issue at certain venues. So I bought the Fractal AX-8 and went to in ears. Great unit but I found myself spending hours tweaking for minimal gains.

So I sold it and bought the Atomic AA3. Awesome sounding unit and I get useful tones much faster.

For “amp” gigs, I bought a EVH 5150 LBXII with a Mesa 1x12 cab and I’m thrilled. The tones I love at a much more manageable volume.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Astrofreq

Don't fall for the false dilemma - you can use modeler/profiler and your pedal board. If you like the effects on your board, run them in the front of the modeler. Can't speak for the AxeFX (assume it's the same) but the Kemper has an effects loop - stereo, if you want it - so you don't lose that option either. Pick the right amp, EQ, gain and cab for every song, and use your pedals as usual.

Thanks for that! That makes a ton of sense. A little 3 space rack with modeler would be much easier than the tube amp. I think I would get along perfectly with the amp sounds, it's the effects I'm wondering about. :)

Top Bottom