• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

edrod

Hello guys,

I have a guitar iwith a floyd rose that I use, detuned (E,B,G,D,A,D

I had it set up but the lowest string (D) feels loosely and sounds out of tune when I play it hard. I usually use super slinky's. I am thinking of using hybrid slinky's to try and some this issue. Here are questions I have.

If I change to hybrid slinky's do I need to set it up again?

Also, which type of Hybrid's should I use or you guys recommend?

Nickel Wound
RPS
Pure Nickel
Stainless Steel

Thanks guys

TNT

First off, if it sounds out of tune, it probably is!

I use SS 9's and I also drop D - no issues! So a change of string type won't necessarily resolve the guitar set up you have.

When you "drop the D", the neck microscopically concaves, but not enough to cause tuning issues.

If you intonate the guitar correctly it will stay in tune.

Love SS strrings!!!!:)

Sweat

Hello guys,

I had it set up but the lowest string (D) feels loosely and sounds out of tune when I play it hard. I usually use super slinky's. I am thinking of using hybrid slinky's to try and some this issue. Here are questions I have.

If I change to hybrid slinky's do I need to set it up again?

Also, which type of Hybrid's should I use or you guys recommend?

Nickel Wound
RPS
Pure Nickel
Stainless Steel

Thanks guys

First love the hybrids, they are what i use on my AL's, and really like the pure nickel, but if you say it is on the lowest D then hybrids might not help with what you are explaing the 3 smallest strings in a set of hybrids are the same gauge as Super Slinkys and the largest three strings are the gauge of regualr slinkys, so you might want to try a set of regular slinkys or even Beefy Slinkys, not sure about setup issues.

TonyEVH5150

Hello guys,

Thanks guys

Since you have a Floyd Rose double locking trem system, the RPS's won't help you too much. THe ball-end of the string is taken totally out of the equation, so the reinforced strings won't help the tuning.

I would go up a gauge of strings. If you're using 9-42's, then I'd consider either Hybrid Slinkys or even 10-46's. The D-string sounding floppy or out of tune could mean that you need to go to a slightly heavier gauge on that string. It could also be that the string is slipping a little either at the bridge block or at the locking nut. Make sure they're tight enough there to stabilize your tuning.

Rufedges

Since you have a Floyd Rose double locking trem system, the RPS's won't help you too much. THe ball-end of the string is taken totally out of the equation, so the reinforced strings won't help the tuning.

I would go up a gauge of strings. If you're using 9-42's, then I'd consider either Hybrid Slinkys or even 10-46's. The D-string sounding floppy or out of tune could mean that you need to go to a slightly heavier gauge on that string. It could also be that the string is slipping a little either at the bridge block or at the locking nut. Make sure they're tight enough there to stabilize your tuning.

This is for a slide tuning I gather......I agree,.....sounds like you really need just a 10 instead of a 9 on the high E string, however, I'll bet going with the Regular Slinky10-46 should solve the problem. You might need to intonnate / neck adjustment a little bit.

TonyEVH5150

I use the hybrid Slinkys on my guitars (non-Floyded), and they seem to handle Drop-D (low E tuned to D) just fine.

If that low E/D is the problem, then going up to the Hybrids should help it. IF it's the actual D string (third string), then you may need to take another step up and go for Power Slinkys.

The theory on string gauge versus tuning is to go up a string gauge for each 1/2 to full step you tune down.

You may be able to go from Super Slinkys to Hybrids with no other adjustments needed. If you go higher than that (Slinky's, Power Slinky's), a truss rod adjustment and trem claw screw tightening may be in order.

edrod

Is there any such thing as having the thin ones on the top but the power slinky's on the bottom?

I am also wondering, I am thinking of definitely going to a bigger gauge from 9's in the above is not possible. I am thinking of going to 10's; will this affect the tremolo at all after getting a set up?

Last edited:

StratoKing

Yes, it should affect the trem as now your string tension is greater. I would slightly tighten the trem springs and the truss rod just a bit. Since it is not that big of a change, minor adjustment should do.

Top Bottom