• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Smellybum

So at around the age of 50 I bought my first Ernie Ball guitar in 2005/6 an Albert Lee SSS/Trem/piezo.
A year later I bought (what must be a rare guitar now?) a 2006 Limited Edition Albert , MMM, Trem.

I also owned a second hand Albert, so for a while I had 3, a JP6 (Thanks Fred!), and EVH hardtail, and these were sold off much later in life, so I'm back to my two original Alberts.

.... and that's it!

I love what I have, don't feel the need to try and better what I have.

Sorry Mr Ball , I should buy more but you have sated my appetite.

(I would add that from 1974 - 2006 I only had a Les Paul and custom built Tele)

Spud my old pal, I share your pain! - it's been 5 years since I last bought a ball. it's not that the new stuff doesn't look nice, -and not that I'm not tempted, but the ones I have are AMAZING. and I don't want to mess with that

Breaking out the cheque book every 5 minutes is ok - but I reckon you've got what you need dialled in, - calling out how good EBMM is to anyone who asks makes you a good customer, and you did more time than anyone else in the UK ! - including working on S&T booths. -when this horrible pandemic is over and we get a UK bash there will be the spud murphy lifetime achievement award!!!!

Owen

I’ve just made my first EBMM purchase since 2004! Finances have prevented me adding to my collection although I have bought 3 Sterling’s in between.

Btw I have just bought a rather special AL, I’ll post pics on a separate thread.

Spudmurphy

GoKartmozart said ...
Hey Spud! Nothing wrong with liking what you like!

Hope you’re doing well. I’ve still got the Music Man beanie that I won 10+ years ago in one of your forum virtual Christmas parties! We’re currently under a a freezing rain/ice storm warning down here in northern Alabama for the next couple of days, so I’m fully expecting loss of power at some point. Will definitely be getting some use out of the MM beanie!

Spuds Reply....
Ha ha they were fun. It was thanks to Strings n Things UK, who I used to blag merch from at various shows I helped them with ... even I don't have a beanie hat - I gave them away.
I'm doing fine thanks and looking forward to the band starting up again after c19 (I'm playing in a reggae band now).
Retirement is fantastic and per my Avtar I'm enjoying life. Rock on!

Last edited:

Spudmurphy

1) Number of guitars has nothing to do with being a good customer, or good anything actually.

2) Spud, I can't speak for anyone else but I'm pretty sure there will be a thundering round of agreement when I say this...

You have been a big part of this forum community for 15 years. You've shared your time and knowledge and enthusiasm, and more with so many people, and we love you for it. You're one of the best.

And he restored a freakin' DeLorean! That's just SO cool! :cool:

Jeez man- it was karma - the forum page opened up automatically on my 'puter and I was catching up on things (I usually check in every couple of weeks now).
Thank you for those very kind words .... I really enjoyed all that interaction with people on here over those years and I still do albeit now to a lesser degree because I'm not on here as frequently as before. But one thing remains is that I love those Albert Lee Guitars of mine and that won't change. It was sad when I bought a cheap jag modern to use live purely because I wanted to keep the Als in shape (and secure - gone are the "2 roadie days" lol)

I'm waiting for the roads to clear up from the salt and for lockdown to ease up then it's out n about with the DeLorean and out playing infront of an audience - all I need is the vaccine jab - which should be soon .

You brought a tear to my eye - thank you.

Spudmurphy

^^^^ what DrKev just said!!!

Plus, I've helped make up for your 'shortage' of AL's, Spud... to kind of balance things out... ;)

Jeez so I noticed - it's good that the ALOC is still in good shape.
Awwwws remember our ALOC C.I.C. Mg Greene.
We used to have a laugh whenever a new Albert Lee owner came on board, we used to welcome them into the ALOC, saying that a decoder ring was on it's way together with the secret handshake instructions . He was taken too soon and I know that quite a few of us on here changed our Avtars (is that what they're called lol) to have a green tinge, in memory?
I photoshopped a Decoder ring with ALOC on there and Mike begged me to let him use it - hey this Sergeant at Arms (as he used to call me lol) couldn't refuse the CIC and he proudly used it up to his dying day.
He had a gremlin Green Albert that I believe was passed to a relative?
I can't believe how many views the Albert Lee Picture thread I started has had . Wow !

R.I.P. MgGreene C.I.C. ALOC

Spudmurphy

Hey Spud and you forgot your Musicman amps ;)

This is not being bad customer my friend, it’s called wisdom...

For some reason I don’t rotate guitars anymore and stick to what I have so far that’s it’s more than enough. My guitars are now aging with me ;) I may even downsize a bit but it’s a tough choice as each guitar has a story to tell

I still have them too. I use (used ) The RD50 live, but the RP65 for me shades it. Strange that.
It's only because the RD50 is smaller that I use it (two band members to a car and we carry the PA!!)
Yup the Als are keepers - especially the one with solid gold fittings - mad lol!!!

Spudmurphy

I've just finished reading through the posts and thanks for all the nice words, the affirmation that "I'm not the only one who is so pleased with his EB guitars, that he doesn't want for more".

The good times will soon be back eh?

Oh and thanks Glen, Smelly and everybody else, I started writing individual replies but I have to go out now.

Just to say, I'm still here around and about , but spend a lot of time learning about these ........ :cool:

Attachments

• deloallopen.jpg
    deloallopen.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

xjbebop

"" ...remember our ALOC C.I.C. Mg Greene.""
Hey Spud... did these belong to him?

ZaL6Yn6.jpg

GWDavis28

"" ...remember our ALOC C.I.C. Mg Greene.""
Hey Spud... did these belong to him?

ZaL6Yn6.jpg

They did. I miss Mike. I tracked down the Gremlin Green AL, I passed on it because of the painted head stock, but he was all over it and loved it.

Glenn |B)

xjbebop

Nice to know. Early in my new found love for AL's, I came across these pics on the interweb...
I was smitten with the custom (?) green gittars....
*and a USA Reverend too!

MmLMOwP.jpg

GWDavis28

Nice to know. Early in my new found love for AL's, I came across these pics on the interweb...
I was smitten with the custom (?) green gittars....
*and a USA Reverend too!

MmLMOwP.jpg

I remember when you got the pair of Envy Green guitars (not at the same time), they were pretty nice. I'm not sure of Fred ended up getting the Gremlin Green Al. Mike had an mint green AL HH if memory servers me right, Fred might have that one.

Glenn |B)

NorM

I remember meeting Mr. Greene at the open house. Dude is just a class act.

Top Bottom