• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

ajkandy

I loved my Silhouette when I had one (back in the 90s). At the time of its introduction, its design made it much smaller than comparable Strat-styles / superstrats (you could fit it in an overhead compartment) and the extended upper horn gave it excellent balance. It's something you see more in modern bass design these days, than in guitars.

I was curious to see if anyone else would be interested in an even smaller body design while keeping the same scale length and hardware options.

Inspired by the rare Cort Curbow G6, the Ibanez 'Bean Bass' and AFD45 guitars, and the old Spector NS6, I really like the common idea of a guitar with a curvy, but compact design.

So, that got me thinking of something like a Luke II, with a body that's 85% of the current size, which would also move the neck and bridge further towards the back.

Likely would need some reshaping of the upper horns / cutaways, a shallower "all access joint," and maybe a slightly narrower body, but should definitely look like it's still from the Silhouette / Luke family. (Would definitely want SSS EMGs as an option...)

Probably couldn't fit a Floyd on it, but a standard trem or hardtail would work? And it would use standard EBMM neck pockets, so you could fit a variety of neck profiles (EVH, C / D) and even scale lengths (lop off a fret for a "shorter scale" feel, or use the Baritone neck, etc.

Given how well received the new short scale Stingrays are, and as more of us are aging and want smaller / lighter / more portable instruments, to me it says there's a growing but unaddressed market.

EDIT: Quick Photoshop mock with original, side by side

http://forums.ernieball.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36021&d=1574471100

Last edited:

Astrofreq

I like a mini guitar, like 3/4 size. I have a guy in Germany finishing up a tiny electric for me, but I’d love to have an EBMM

ajkandy

I like a mini guitar, like 3/4 size. I have a guy in Germany finishing up a tiny electric for me, but I’d love to have an EBMM

Oh, cool. Yeah, I'd want that classic 4+2 headstock and build quality.

Ages ago I had a Steinberger GM4T and the size/balance was great, so that's also what sparks the idea for a downsized / shifted body.

Fro

I'd be first in line for a short scale Music Man. Smaller body, keep the scale length but move the bridge back close to the edge of the body to make the whole guitar shorter. It would make a great travel guitar.

ajkandy

OK, this is weird, but it looks like my original post vanished.

Basically: Inspired by designs like Greg Curbow's (very rare) Petite Guitar, the Spector NS6, and the old 1984 Ibanez Bean Bass, I was thinking it'd be cool to have a full-scale guitar but with a smaller body.

The original Silhouette was much more compact than standard Strats / superstrats of the era, and balanced very well thanks to the extended upper horn (which, btw, is different on the Silo Special).

I'd love something like a Luke - clean, futuristic, with EMG style pickup routs, SSS, but with a downsize body that ends more or less right after the bridge and narrower overall, but that retains the design DNA of the Silhouette (long horn) and Luke (smooth carve) With maybe some options in neck profiles, hardtail vs trad trem vs Floyds, etc.

mini-luke.jpg

KDude

Not short scaled, but you kind of have the option of small bodies with an Axis (as opposed to the Reflex, which I prefer). At least for me. I'm 6'5" and an Axis is on the small side (I love them though). Short scale wise, I'd rather just stick in the Gibson realm. I actually already find Les Pauls to look pretty small themselves (although they are thick).

ajkandy

I guess small is relative. I hear you, but to me, the Axis is basically a single-cut take on the Silo, the body isn't significantly smaller... and as it is a 'slab' body it feels bulkier? Then again, I'm 5'9 and have small hands so our needs are very different :)

I used to work at Steve's Music in Montreal and tried most of the then-current EBMMs, owned a Silhouette, a Sterling bass, various OLPs and a Sterling Sub Silo over the years. Some of them were definitely lighter depending on the woods, but none were 'smaller bodied' next to each other, more by comparison to Fender equivalents, I guess.

I would actually want to keep a full scale length on such an instrument, but yeah, a short-scale option would also be cool. Rather like the Lowe conversion necks, just move the nut to the 1st fret so there's less fiddling to do with moving the bridge and frets around... :)

KDude

I guess small is relative. I hear you, but to me, the Axis is basically a single-cut take on the Silo, the body isn't significantly smaller... and as it is a 'slab' body it feels bulkier? Then again, I'm 5'9 and have small hands so our needs are very different :)

I used to work at Steve's Music in Montreal and tried most of the then-current EBMMs, owned a Silhouette, a Sterling bass, various OLPs and a Sterling Sub Silo over the years. Some of them were definitely lighter depending on the woods, but none were 'smaller bodied' next to each other, more by comparison to Fender equivalents, I guess.

I would actually want to keep a full scale length on such an instrument, but yeah, a short-scale option would also be cool. Rather like the Lowe conversion necks, just move the nut to the 1st fret so there's less fiddling to do with moving the bridge and frets around... :)

True enough. It is relative. Also, I guess I'm used to the Reflex now that maybe it's just actually "big" and the Axis is relatively "normal" for EBMM. I swapped this from this site to demonstrate though. Someone had a pic of these two beauties side by side.

IMG_1021.jpg

ajkandy

Oh yeah, I see what you mean now! The Reflex is quite a bit larger, but is it the same wood / heavier?

KDude

Oh yeah, I see what you mean now! The Reflex is quite a bit larger, but is it the same wood / heavier?

Pretty much. They're both basswood with maple cap, but the Reflex has a mahogany block down the middle and is chambered. If I'm not mistaken, they both weigh around 7 lbs, give or take (the Reflex' chambering helps).

Pops

I own 2 short scale guitars both 23.5".
An Epiphone Elitist Byrdland which imho is as good if not better in build quality and finish than the Gibson version having owned both and sold the Gibson .The Epi Byrd is now defunct due to Gibson pressure and finding a used one these days is rarer than unicorn sightings.

I also have a Haiku Les Paul on which there is very little information.It also has a the 23.5 Byrdland scale.I bought it on a whim expecting it to be crap but it turned out to be a real surprise both in build quality, playability and the split coil humbuckers were absolutely spot on.My young grandson is currently enjoying it's delights.
As for another short scale ,smaller body I would prefer EB to produce a Gibson scale guitar that wouldn't break the bank but with the EB playability.
Over the years I've had many a Les Paul but always hankered for something better. Just a shame that EB didn't have a model to rival the LP at all AFAIK EB only produced the Armada which had the 24.75" scale but I thought was waaay too expensive and with nothing else in EB pipe line I recently purchased a D'Angelico Atlantic and can honestly say it really is a players guitar par excellence beating the GLP hands down.

Wahoonc

Pretty much. They're both basswood with maple cap, but the Reflex has a mahogany block down the middle and is chambered. If I'm not mistaken, they both weigh around 7 lbs, give or take (the Reflex' chambering helps).

The chambering definitely helps--and the carves and ergonomics as well. My Axis and GC *feel* about the same in terms of weight, but I don't notice the size difference much because of the GC's design. My ASS semis are noticeably lighter, especially the MM90--super light.

ajkandy

That's very cool. I didn't know they made 23.5" scale instruments!

My idea is less about scale length and more about body size (see photos in thread), but yeah, it'd be nice to have the ability to choose. I'd like the idea of just moving the nut to the 1st fret, so it keeps the same scale, technically, as a Fender, but it's like if you capoed it and then retuned...

ajkandy

Yeah, the Super Sports are basswood, not sure if the early versions had the maple cap? Lukes are alder, but for something like my concept I wonder if mahogany might work.

KDude

Yeah, the Super Sports are basswood, not sure if the early versions had the maple cap? Lukes are alder, but for something like my concept I wonder if mahogany might work.

African mahogany appears to be about the same weight. St. V's guitar uses it (it weights 7 something lbs, like the Axis).. and she specifically made it for herself and other smaller people.

ajkandy

Resurrecting an old thread. Now that there is a 24” short scale SBMM version of the Cutlass, it is reigniting my interest in a 7/8 size Luke or Silo Standard. I recently acquired a Fender Japan 24” short scale Strat and it just feels right - downsized body outline but same thickness so it uses regular Strat parts; it just loses one volume knob. (I hate to say it but I’m not a fan of the Cutlass body design - I like the Silhouette style where the bridge is further back for compactness and the upper horns are a little longer for balance.) Would love a partially chambered design for lighter weight - if it could come in at 5-6 lbs that’d be amazing.

Top Bottom