• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

2mdude

Greetings EBMM people,

I've been poking the Interwebs for information on my 1999 Axis Super Sport MM90 with piezos, there doesn't seem to be too many of these around and very little information on them. Aside from the specifics on control usage, I'd also like to get an idea of what the original price was on it as well as what its current value might be.

She was purchased by me from a collection in what I'd best describe as showroom new condition, not a scratch on her and hardly played if at all. She's sporting a Trans Red finish with matching headstock and the rosewood fretboard on figured maple neck.

She's been sleeping in the original G&G vintage case (still has some blue protective plastic on the latches) and surprisingly has the original hang tag and case candy as well.

Obligatory photo:
99_ebmm_ass_mm90_piezo.jpg

Thanks in advance for any info anyone can supply. It is appreciated.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
It's not gonna be vastly different from any Super Sport of similar age and condition. The matching headstock and piezo were both additional charges over the basic model but nothing particularly rare or collectable. You'll just have to spend some time with Reverb or eBay and look for final sale prices (NOT the asking prices) of similar guitars.

2mdude

The matching headstock and piezo were both additional charges over the basic model but nothing particularly rare or collectable. You'll just have to spend some time with Reverb or eBay and look for final sale prices (NOT the asking prices) of similar guitars.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't mean to suggest this guitar is anything collectable, quite honestly what is considered collectable is more of a personal thing in my mind. I have spent quite a bit of time on Reverb which is why I posted the question here. So far I've only managed to find two similar instruments, one sold three years ago and the other is still for sale and would appear to be possibly overpriced, though hard to say as the listing is from the UK and I suspect the EBMMs aren't as prevalent over there as they are in the US.

Last edited:

2mdude

Congrats... great find! She's a beauty!

Thanks, I've actually had it for about two years now though I haven't played it aside from attempting to test it out after purchase. The trans red is fantastic and really vibrant depending on lighting, it almost glows from some angles. The specifics of the controls and jacks are still a little unclear but I was at least able to get a piezo sound out of it by randomly trying jack/switch/knob combinations. I do like the looks though think it would look a bit smarter with some chrome/nickel P-90 covers (fully realizing this would affect the sound). That said, I have no intentions of changing anything, she's staying as is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom