• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

josephart

Is it possible to convert my 2021 Stingray 5 H to a Stingray 5 HH??​

I really love my 2020 SR HH 5 and want to look into converting my 2021 SR 5 H in an HH by adding a new pickup and 5 way wiring...does anyone know if this is possible, and if so how could I go about it? I bought both Basses new from Sweetwater.​

Thank you in advance.​

Joe in Reno​

tbonesullivan

Probably quicker and easier to sell and/or trade the 2021 SR 5H for a 5HH honestly. I don't believe the 5H bodies are routed for another pickup, so that would need to be done, and the wiring involves not just the switch but also the PCB. Then there's getting another pickup that matches the existing pickup correctly. You'd have to score one on reverb or ebay because EBMM doesn't sell pickups.

kevins

Probably quicker and easier to sell and/or trade the 2021 SR 5H for a 5HH honestly. I don't believe the 5H bodies are routed for another pickup, so that would need to be done, and the wiring involves not just the switch but also the PCB. Then there's getting another pickup that matches the existing pickup correctly. You'd have to score one on reverb or ebay because EBMM doesn't sell pickups.
If the new preamps are like the old ones it should be pretty simple to do actually, the old eb stingray and eb Sabre used the same exact preamp and one was two pickups with a 5 way switch. Though I’m pretty sure the newer ones are more complicated.

Finding a pickup that matches impedance and output is gonna be harder than anything, and wiring it still is going to be pretty difficult! I’d also reccomend selling it and getting a different one, unless you like the way one plays over the other, in that case why not do a neck swap? If the neck isn’t a perfect match for the body you can just shim it and that’ll make it a perfect match. Though it’s very likely the neck will fit perfectly

Top Bottom