• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

leftyguitarblue

Furthermore, not a surprise that mention on a left handed Petrucci guitar made it into this thread... tsk tsk tsk. Some folks never learn. Hahahahahahaha.

Well, until the cops come or I'm presented with a supeona to cease and desist all "Left Handed Petrucci requests," I'm sorry Jimmy, i gotta throw it out there every once in awhile. :p

paranoid70

A bit of trivia for you lefties... did you know Steve Morse is actually a lefty? I've seen where he stated that he was glad he learned to play "righty" since he now feels that it is actually more advantageous having his dominant (left) hand be used for fingering. Maybe he is correct? Although he has about the best picking chops of about anyone I have ever seen, so how do you account for that :confused:

I found out Morse was a lefty a few years ago when I got his autograph after a Dregs show. He signed my CD left haned, and I was really surprised by that. I think he said something like playing righty felt more natural.

I tried teaching my left handed daughter guitar. I told her to just hold it both ways and tell me which one feels more natural. She said righty felt better (*phew*), and so I got her a righty guitar. ;)

Good luck on your lefty AL campaign. :D

TimSz

My idea.

Now, I don't know if this will sweeten the pot towards making a left handed AL possible, but I was thinking about it and the biggest concern with not getting them made is that they would be costly.

Not speaking for any of the other lefties here, but I know that I'd be willing to pay an extra cost to get one... say five hundred bucks more? Here's how I see it:

Price: $1,487.99 - $1,557.99 = Musicians Friend price. The higher of the two would hypothetically be the piezo version... with that not being offered to lefties, that would mean that your regular AL with trem costs about $1,500.00 From here, add on the $500 that I'm talking about, and then you get a nice even $2000.00 price tag for a left handed AL.

I don't think that's expensive at all. Considering that you can get a left handed F****r American Deluxe for that price, it's not unreasonable to charge that price for a left handed AL! I'm just throwing around words but I think this is a fair offer!

leftyguitarblue

I guess on a customer to customer basis, that would work, but isn't the big cost in having the machines "reversed" so to speak? (I don't know the tech terminology)

TimSz

From what I know, the machines have all ready been reversed... I mean, McCartney did get one; so all the effort has been put forth. Again, it's not like a lot of R&D have to go into this... it's a backwards body, and slightly different neck shape, but everything else is kind of standard... They make lefty trems... the pickups don't matter lefty or righty... I don't see there being much more effort than simply doing it...

But then again, I don't know what the deal is.

leftyguitarblue

From what I know, the machines have all ready been reversed... I mean, McCartney did get one; so all the effort has been put forth. Again, it's not like a lot of R&D have to go into this... it's a backwards body, and slightly different neck shape, but everything else is kind of standard... They make lefty trems... the pickups don't matter lefty or righty... I don't see there being much more effort than simply doing it...

But then again, I don't know what the deal is.

I see what you mean Jimmy.

TXLefty

Thanks for all the replies guys - great to see there is indeed some demand for a lefty AL! I would be very interested if any limited run is a possibility. It doesn't seem to me it would be much of a problem for production, but I can see where the plant would want an order up front to produce a number of lefties rather than making them and potentially sitting on them waiting for dealer orders. Seems like an opportunity for a dealer here to put together a custom order for multiple lefties!

I'll be sure to stop by the EB booth at NAMM and put the word out that a lefty AL model is worth them considering.

Joe Demo

Welcome fellow lefty!!!!!

I'm a lefty Luke player who would also love a lefty AL model.

Maybe one day us lefties will have any model we want available just like all the righties do!!!!!! Probably won't happen of course, but wishful thinking never hurt anybody!!!!

Spudmurphy

Sterling has been very generous to us knuckleheads over the years what with the knucklehead partys, Dargies, free string wipes etc, and I don't want this to come over as request on his generousity but.... .... .... .... ....

IF
he and big AL agreed to it then what a wonderfull 2009 LE model it would make. No Piezo of course. A one off ?? I'm sure r/h AL owners would want one too?

The trouble is as I see it:-
Why just the AL and not other models?
The cost of set up - would it be astronomical? - I guess it would be.

Just a thought I guess. :eek:

beej

The cost of set up - would it be astronomical? - I guess it would be.
I would imagine it's a substantial commitment- they'd have to re-tool for it. It's essentially another guitar in the line-up which means it eats into the production of something else.

Lefty_SS

I cant wait for my lefty luke!!! i love that blue, but i think im goin with the red!!! how would you compare it to the silo specials neck?

Dick Diamond

Hi folks - I am new to the forum here. I have a good number of lefty guitars, but no MM! I like a lot of things about the Albert model, but I don't see any info on if they are offered lefty.

By the way, any fellow lefty players feel free to say hello here! I am always interested in good lefty electrics so let me know if you are thinking of parting with one :)
Thanks LeftyGB! Bummer the Albert model is not offered in lefty :( That is the one that attracts me most right now since it is somewhat of a Tele/Strat hybrid. Many years ago I did have a custom Strat style axe built by Gary Brawer in San Francisco (great guitar repair guy, and still Satch's main tech I believe). I actually had it built with Steve Lukather in mind long before MM came out with the Luke model, it has EMGs, a sunken Floyd and a super fast neck. Its still a great guitar and probably makes the MM Luke guitar somewhat redundant for me. Anyway, I am getting more into the chicken pickin thing these days and just looking for something a bit different. Teles and G&L ASATs are cool, but the Albert seems very interesting.

I'll check out the store links - Thanks!
I made my own. Will try to upload pics 👍🏼

Dick Diamond

Hi folks - I am new to the forum here. I have a good number of lefty guitars, but no MM! I like a lot of things about the Albert model, but I don't see any info on if they are offered lefty.

By the way, any fellow lefty players feel free to say hello here! I am always interested in good lefty electrics so let me know if you are thinking of parting with one :)

Attachments

• Compress_20220118_095435_5735.jpg
    Compress_20220118_095435_5735.jpg
    499.7 KB · Views: 4

Dick Diamond

I'm in the process of building an AL at the moment. Could use a lefty 5 bolt neck plate. Only to find out they never made a lefty. Would be nice if I could get them to punch one out for me. I will post progress pics when I can. 😁

jayjayjay

Considering the neck plate is what carries the s/n, I highly doubt you'll be able to get one from MM. They don't generally sell major components like the neck or trem system, rather, you have to send in an existing unit to them for an exchange, or just send the guitar in to service.

In other words, I think your best bet is to either fabricate your own neck plate, using an existing one as a template, or find another guitar to act as a donor. Perhaps you can take a right-handed plate and just flip it? Same goes for the neck - you'll need to find a donor guitar.

Dick Diamond

Yes, sadly I figured as much. The project is on hold until I aquire a right handed neck plate to use as a template as I want to shape the body correctly to the plate. I have a template for the pick guard and am going to just buy some square stock material for that. As far as the neck goes upon looking at the specs I already have made one using strat specs as they are the same and have made my own headstock 4/2 variation. I appreciate the feedback and will post pics when I have made significant progress. Hahaha Lefties Rule!

jayjayjay

Yes, sadly I figured as much. The project is on hold until I aquire a right handed neck plate to use as a template as I want to shape the body correctly to the plate. I have a template for the pick guard and am going to just buy some square stock material for that. As far as the neck goes upon looking at the specs I already have made one using strat specs as they are the same and have made my own headstock 4/2 variation. I appreciate the feedback and will post pics when I have made significant progress. Hahaha Lefties Rule!
I'd love to see the progress!

Full disclosure - I am left handed, but play righties. I don't think I've ever tried a lefty, actually, and after 30-odd years of playing, it would just feel like starting over.

Top Bottom