• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan
Hello (first post), and help!

I've just picked up one of the new Line6 POD Go Wireless pedalboards, and, for the most part, it's great. :) Loads of great sounds in there waiting to come out. However, I've run into a problem with my two Bongos - when they're used with the Relay wireless dongle, there's a rather horrible high-mid whine that just won't go away. It's fine with a cable, but, since the wireless system is available, I'd like to be able to actually use it with my two favourite basses.

I have several other active basses and they all work fine with it, with no noise. If I plug the bass into a tuner with a cable, then plug the dongle into the tuner output, it's fine. I've also tried using a TR-to-TR cable extender and I'm still hearing the noise.

I'm wondering, is there something in how the output jack is wired, or how the bass is grounded/shielded, that could cause this sort of issue?

Any and all suggestions are welcome. :D

tbonesullivan

I believe the problem is with how the Bongo electronics detect that a cable is plugged in. Like the Luke III, it uses a stereo output jack, and when there is continuity between the two sleeve contacts, the electronics turn on.

The wireless system is picking that up. If you search the forum you should find other threads about this.

tbonesullivan

I read somewhere else on here that someone had luck rewiring their output jack, swapping the red and black wires. Might that work in this instance?

No idea. Looking at the Line 6 GT10 II, it also uses a TRS connector, no idea why. You should probably email EBMM customer service, and see what they say.

I believe it uses the ring connection for charging when inserted into the POD Go.

I was surprised, when looking in the back of my Bongo, that there was no RF shielding whatsoever - no foil, no shielding paint, nothing.

I've dropped EB customer service an email, let's see if they have any suggestions. In the meantime, I might try a bit of DIY shielding with tinfoil and see what happens.

On the plus side, I have discovered my POD Go works with the wireless transmitter pack from my old Line6 Relay G50 wireless system, with no noise from the Bongos, so I have a stopgap until Line6 either updates their hardware or I get a solution from EB.

tbonesullivan

I believe it uses the ring connection for charging when inserted into the POD Go.

I was surprised, when looking in the back of my Bongo, that there was no RF shielding whatsoever - no foil, no shielding paint, nothing.

I've dropped EB customer service an email, let's see if they have any suggestions. In the meantime, I might try a bit of DIY shielding with tinfoil and see what happens.

Unless things have changed, the control cavity is fully shielded:

"Graphite acrylic resin coated body cavity and aluminum control cover"

Adding the foil won't solve the basic issue, and that is that the wireless unit is not compatible with the type of jack used on the bass.

Can't see any shielding in the cavity, unless there's shielding paint under the finish. There definitely isn't any on the control cavity cover, which is just a piece of plastic. I've not had any noise issues with it otherwise though.

danny-79

Can't see any shielding in the cavity, unless there's shielding paint under the finish. There definitely isn't any on the control cavity cover, which is just a piece of plastic. I've not had any noise issues with it otherwise though.

Are the cavity plates not made of metal so don’t need shielding as they are the shield? Sometimes the shielding in the cavity is under the colour finish, if you run your finger over it it will be rough to the touch compared to the rest of the finish.

Regarding the wireless transmitter I would look into getting a new lead from the transmitter to the bass with a standard two part jack plug, basically sending the extra ring to ground. As it is your Bingo is detecting the third signal and that’s what is causing the hum. Keep the original lead with the three part jack for charging, less finicky basses etc.
Depending on where you are in the world a quick google search will put you on track to getting the custom lead (I build all mine myself) but if your in the UK I highly recommend Designacable.
Hope this helps

tbonesullivan

That's definitely interesting. All of the Bongos I have seen had a painted or powder coated aluminum control cover, like the one on my Luke III.

Mu5icM@n

I see this with a lot of the digital wireless transmitters that plug directly into the bass. My sennheiser does it too. The bass active electronics actually pick up or amplify something from the transmitter. If you have a male-to-female 1/4” cable and can use it to put the transmitter farther away, like in your back pocket, I bet the sound will go away.

danny-79

That's definitely interesting. All of the Bongos I have seen had a painted or powder coated aluminum control cover, like the one on my Luke III.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a plastic cover on any EBMM.....

Anyways this is the kind of lead you might find useful. They will make you up pretty much anything though.

Wireless System Lead for Line 6 G50 G90, Shure, LD, Rocket, Ashdown Freebass

Don’t know what the silent jacks are like, I just disconnect from the amp first, switch transmitter of before disconnecting from bass. but have heard them to be handy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom