• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Wim Laven

Prize Winning Journalist
I know I've been missing for a while...

I picked up a second Azola upright
IMG_3979.jpg

These uprights are fun, I play this one more than the Bugbass for sure.

Dear God the DarkRay is awesome. If it were available with 5 strings I'd probably already have one ordered.

I think I might have to sell the M&M if I want another four string...
We'll see how things play out, I'm in an odd mood remembering how short life can be.

I was searching, but couldn't find, I thought I remembered something about being able to somewhat custom order basses if you order 5 or more. Is there any truth to that? I bet we could get at least 5, maybe 10 people to order a 5 string DarkRay... but, then again, maybe I've not paid as much attention to the forums lately...

bovinehost

Administrator
The Dargie instruments came about as a result, mostly, of the forum clamoring for it. Sterling wasn't sold on the idea of the Big Al bass but I THINK was sort of influenced by all of us (and look where that went, sad to say).

Those are the only two instances I can think of and those were outliers.

scottbass71

Also Jack If I do recall Sterling Ball offered a 19 Inch string spacing again after a few people asked for it on this forum and he committed to it if there were a certain amount ordered (I recall 250 instruments but might be wrong) by a certain date, of coarse the orders didn't materialize.
Do any one else recall that?

Rod Trussbroken

Also Jack If I do recall Sterling Ball offered a 19 Inch string spacing again after a few people asked for it on this forum and he committed to it if there were a certain amount ordered (I recall 250 instruments but might be wrong) by a certain date, of coarse the orders didn't materialize.
Do any one else recall that?

Hey Scott.

I can remember something like that!

scottbass71

Hi Gav,
I hope you are doing well mate.
Yeah I think it is a 19 Inch string spacing for a 5-string Stingray? - if my memory doesn't fade me.

I still think the dargie 1's were a really great highlight of the forum especially with the martini glass inlays.

Last edited:

Wim Laven

Prize Winning Journalist
The Dargie instruments came about as a result, mostly, of the forum clamoring for it. Sterling wasn't sold on the idea of the Big Al bass but I THINK was sort of influenced by all of us (and look where that went, sad to say).

Those are the only two instances I can think of and those were outliers.

I didn't know that was the story behind the Big Al bass, interesting.

I'm sure I could have worded what I was referring to better, but it's hazy.

I swear I remember something about there being a time when you could choose a color to special order as long as a minimum order of something like 5 or 10 was made.

The problem in the case of my enthusiasm is that I'm blurring interests with this idea I only have a poor memory of.
I just like 5 strings better...

But why not shoot for the moon, they should make a Dargie DarkRay 5...

Top Bottom