• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Thanks for posting that, François!

What a cool run through. I am struck by how low JP action is. 1 mm = 0.040" = 2.5/64" = insanely low! Every single year someone comes to the forum complaining that they set their guitar up like JP's and it buzzes like crazy. And the answer is "yes, it definitely will!" :D

Lax

Very nice video, not really a full depth tutorial, but along the trivia and interesting details about JP, it shows that a full setup is something that demands dedication and experience (I mean don't fear to ask a tech/luthier to setup your guitar if you don't know what you're doing), and how tiny a tweak can impact the guitar !
And even further, how a tweak can impact other settings, like creating buzz elsewhere etc...

tbonesullivan

Thanks for posting that, François!

What a cool run through. I am struck by how low JP action is. 1 mm = 0.040" = 2.5/64" = insanely low! Every single year someone comes to the forum complaining that they set their guitar up like JP's and it buzzes like crazy. And the answer is "yes, it definitely will!" :D
THIS. SO MUCH THIS! I don't know how people can expect SUPER LOW action and no buzz. Strings vibrate, so if you've got the action that low, it is definitely going to buzz a little.

I like using the EBMM action settings of 3-4/64 high to 4-5/64 low on just about all my guitars. I find the "Fender" action measured at the 17th fret to just be TOO low. I remember reading that Stevie Stevens like his action at 5/64 across the board, something I did not expect for an 80s player, but that's what he likes.

cbc83

Cool video! He seems like such a great guy, also in his responses on this forum.

Seeing how many guitars JP goes through in a gig, I can certainly see why setting up his guitars is a full time job!

Mace13

Great video, thanks for sharing. It was interesting that he doesn't use nut butter on the saddles or nut.

It is insane how often they change strings on tour!

Lax

It is insane how often they change strings on tour!
Thought the same but on main guitars I guess he plays them in the bus, before shows etc and they play several following days streaks, the strings must be sounding dead!

I use paradigm strings and it's hard work to kill them, while taking care of them like wiping them after use.

Mace13

A question which came to mind when watching that. Does Petrucci use a strict perfect tuning or some sort of ‘tempered’ tuning on his guitars?

That trick with the long screwdriver for the spring claw adjustment is priceless! I’ve always taken the backplate off on my two JPs. :( Now if only the JP XI had the slots for screwdriver access.....

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
That trick with the long screwdriver for the spring claw adjustment is priceless! I’ve always taken the backplate off on my two JPs. :( Now if only the JP XI had the slots for screwdriver access.....

Yep! Longest screw driver gives the most comfortable hand position and best angle to the screw heads. Same for intonation screw adjustments. A thicker handle gives a little more torque too which makes for easier adjustments.

Vadauco

THIS. SO MUCH THIS! I don't know how people can expect SUPER LOW action and no buzz. Strings vibrate, so if you've got the action that low, it is definitely going to buzz a little.

I believe this is the most educational part of the whole video. Low action will buzz, simply because of physics: there is no room for the string vibrate, so it touches the frets. I set my guitars with little action too, and I got used to that buzz that pops in from time to time. It's worth it.

A question which came to mind when watching that. Does Petrucci use a strict perfect tuning or some sort of ‘tempered’ tuning on his guitars?

Just your ol' good ordinary tuning, as Maddi did.

Top Bottom