• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

justevv

I am wondering if there is a way of using just one single coil pickup on the JP15.

I know that if I am in position 2 and I pull up on the mag tone I can use both a single neck pick up and single bridge pick up in parallel. I've tried putting the guitar in position 3 or 1 and then pulling up the mag tone, but it doesn't seem to be different than just putting the guitar in position 3 or 1 and not pulling up the mag tone. It is possible that I'm not hearing the difference. But the instructions on the JP15 control diagram (01-01-2016) does not show explicitly how to use only one single pickup so I'd like to make sure I'm doing it correctly.

johnnyboogie

There is no option for what you are asking. The electronics are designed so that only position 2 has the additional option of splitting the coils. You would have to intervene in order to be able to split the hum buckers in positions 1 and 3.

Pott

That's one of my only gripes with the JP15. There IS a coil-split, but only for one third of the available positions.
I guess it's how JP wanted it, but it feels like a missed opportunity at no cost to the customer.

alpiel91

How to get single coils in a JP15 on all pickup selector positions

It's really simple, you just have to desolder the blue and yellow wires from the pickup selector PCB and solder them back directly to ground (see picture).

single-coil-mod.jpg

In the original soldering configuration, the blue and yellow cables are hooked to the 4PDT switch, connecting to ground only when the switch is in the middle position. By soldering them to ground, you'll be effectively singling both pickups on all pickup selector positions, when the tone knob DPDT is up (see diagram)

mindacoavmqcvmabtkxi copy.jpg

Last edited:

furor

usually about 3-4 ft below the guitar :)

Or solder them to the back of the (usually) volume pot.

tiziano.natale

usually about 3-4 ft below the guitar :)

Or solder them to the back of the (usually) volume pot.
Update: ok I figure it out by myself and it basically works as a normal volume pot, just solder the yellow and blue cable on the side of the grey cilinder of the pot, not on the circuit. It works just fine, you can have a single coil sound out of the JP15 without much work.

this img is kinda bad because I wanted to show the pcb eheh, but you can see the cilinder. Cheers.

IMG_8071.JPG

Last edited:

axmstrlp

Does anyone have updated instructions for a 2023 JP15 with the DC109W PCB in it? The wire colors have changed. The pins are labeled as:
  1. WHT O
  2. YEL NG
  3. BLK GND
  4. GRN BT
  5. GRY BG
  6. RED NT.
N_ and B_ probably refers to neck and bridge. But I can't figure out what the O, _T, and _G labels mean.

Attachments

• IMG_0566.jpg
    IMG_0566.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 5

Lax

Out of curiosity, how close to a strat twang the mod gets you?
Is it doable on all jp and majesty?

axmstrlp

I got this to work. I'll send a picture shortly. My soldering iron wasn't getting hot enough so my joint is kinda cold but it'll hold until I get my soldering iron straightened out.

I'll also send a sound byte through my Vox AC30 C2X mic'ed w/ a SM57.

In the meantime, I wouldn't say it "sounds like a strat". It's a good sound. Hum isn't bad -- pretty quiet actually. Surprisingly, you don't lose any volume when tapping -- it almost seems louder 'cuz it gets substantially brighter but it doesn't have that strat "spank". Given the difficulty of the mod (ie. easy), I think it's totally worth doing for the tonal variety. For example, last night, I was strumming a sus chord on the untapped bridge (phat and warm) and froze it with a Strymon Nightsky. Then tapped and moodled in all three switch positions. I'm biased but I thought this was working really well.

I'm really surprised that EB doesn't just do this from the factory because... why not? It costs nothing. (I guess because JP himself doesn't rock this way? 🤷🏻)

Mace13

I’m guessing the man himself just likes to push out the tone knob before a song when he knows he’ll use the split coils in that song. Then, he just needs to move the switch to get the split and back to regular humbuckers. While actually playing there is one less knob to push, just flicks of the switch.

I like having full split in all switch positions so I’m very interested in your mod!

Top Bottom