• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

smokinfudo

Hi,

I've just bought a second hand JP6 BFR Black Quilted, good looking and sounding. But the nut is low, more than my JP12, and there are some strings touching the wood behind the nut: on the wood between the tuner and the nut. I send you pics..

Do you think it's normal?

I send some pics..

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Last edited:

guitvai1

It looks like someone has taken the nut off and filed it down before reinstalling it. I can see the very unclean extra glue coming out the side in your pics. My JP6 has about 1.5 mm clearance for the strings from the wood behind the nut. You need to get a new nut installed I would say.

KevinUK

That is interesting as there is one of these up for sale in UK that has had its nut replaced, maybe there are common issues with this model ?

smokinfudo

Actually I don't know. I'd like to get a factory restore from Music Man. I've just sent a mail to know If there is a official Music Man luthier in Europe. I don't want to change original nut for another nut.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
I cant tell much from these photos. Blurry focus, low resolution and strong direct lighting can fool the eye. However, what I can tell you is this...

If there is no horrible buzzing on the open strings (i.e. no more than anywhere else on the neck) then the nut height is CORRECT, or at very least not too low, and you have nothing to worry about.

Many guitars have strings making contact behind the nut (my strat always did and my Silhouette Special does too). I never found it to affect tuning stability or playability in an way. That said, Music Man actually took steps to avoid this just a few years ago by modifying the shape of the slope from the nut to the tuners. So, you won't see this issue on newer instruments but it's not uncommon on older instruments.

do you think I could order a new nut from Music Man?

Yes, you certainly can. Call or email Customer Service. But as I said, if I don't think you need it.

Be warned, replacing a Music Man nut is not a job for the amateurs without some experience and the appropriate tools. You'll probably have to give it to a guitar tech or luthier to do properly.

It looks like someone has taken the nut off and filed it down before reinstalling it.

I respectfully disagree. See my response above.

maybe there are common issues with this model ?

Ditto my last comment.

smokinfudo

DrKev thank you very muck for your answer!

I'll post new detailed pics this afternoon, the strings touching made some little scratches on the wood behind the nut, this is not good to see, but you could see that only when you replace strings.

But there is no buzzing at all.

The guy who sold me the guitar told me that he never did some kind of fret nut works.

Last edited:

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
the strings touching made some little scratches on the wood behind the nut, this is not good to see, but you could see that only when you replace strings.

But there is no buzzing at all.

Great! String marks into the varnish is to be expected if there is contact but as I said, it's a minor cosmetic issue that has never caused me any problems. No need to post pictures on my account, I don't think you have a thing to worry about. Congrats on a great guitar!

Oh by the way, welcome to the forum! :)

PaoloGilberto

Romania ...that's a country ...in Europe :))
my JP6 2009 has the same problem with Low E, A and high E strings touching the fretboard behind the nut
I opened a topic back then to address this, music man said is normal, then after a few years they have changed the design and now with the new guitars problem is solved :D
on my 2014 JP7 behind the nut there is about 2-3 mm between string and wood

smokinfudo

The strings that touch the wood are also in my JP Low E, A and high E.. Thank you PaoloGilberto!! :)

PaoloGilberto

Romania ...that's a country ...in Europe :))
:) I use guitar grease from stewmac for nut, and all friction parts including the ones you mentioned behind the nut where the strings touch the wood. no tuning problem at all, though I was worried first as you are since the guitar was bought new.
good thing is they fixed with the new guitars

PeteDuBaldo

my JP6 2009 has the same problem with Low E, A and high E strings touching the fretboard behind the nut
I opened a topic back then to address this, music man said is normal, then after a few years they have changed the design and now with the new guitars problem is solved :D
on my 2014 JP7 behind the nut there is about 2-3 mm between string and wood

That is correct. Some guitar models had strings touching behind the nut and MusicMan made a change in production to removed some fretboard material behind the nut on new guitars.

smokinfudo

Thank you Pete! I didn't know 2008 JP6 had strings touching the wood, on my JP12 the nut is not low as my JP6 BFR and there are no strings touching wood. So I think nut was leveled or something like that..

Top Bottom