• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Andre Lizardo

Hi everyone, this is my first post here.

I am in negotiations to buy a 2005 JP6, but the guitar have some details and scratches on the body.
Do you guys think this is something that I should be concerned or is it just painting details?

The guy told me that this is just about painting, and that a luthier told him the same.

Here are some pics of the guitar:

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-09-09 at 09.18.59.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-09-09 at 09.18.59.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 109
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-09-09 at 09.39.50.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-09-09 at 09.39.50.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 112

tbonesullivan

Looks like the paint is peeling off, which can happen if a guitar is not stored in a moisture and temperature controlled environment for a long time.

moxsi

What about asking them to unscrew the cavity covers and take some pics, so you can check the cracks in more detail?

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Also get photos of the corners of the neck pockets. Some finish cracking there is normal but you ned to know what they look like now. If the paint is coming off due to storage, I would want assurance that the neck and truss rod are in good working order. Also some clear close up photos of the first three frets to see how much wear is there.

JamieCrain

That’s bad. I would suggest that unless the price is very low (low enough to allow a respray and rebuild) you should avoid this guitar. Even then you possibly won’t know how bad the damage is until the paint is fully removed, because you don’t know the full history of its life.

Top Bottom