• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

SCman

My son and I just returned from the Steve Morse Band Concert held at Cosmo Music. They sounded terrific and we had a great time!

Steve can really make his MM sing through his excellent rig. He gets so many different sounds, it's trully unbelievable. Anyhow, my question is does anyone know what type of effects he is using on stage? The reverb, delay and chorus quality were great.

Thanks!

ScoobySteve

I recently saw Steve, Luke and BP at the Hollywood Guitar Clinic, and Steve talked specifically about his rig.

He says he tries his best to simplify his rig as much as possible.

As far as that clinic was concerned, he was just using a BOSS DD-3 through 2 EB VP's in a W/D Stereo set up. And that was it.

Simplicity, love it!

joe web

i remember seeing some pic's of 2 "Memory Man" delay effect and "BOSS Rev' but im not sure of others

memory man is his favorite effect, as far as i know.
i´ve seen him last year at a clinic and he said, he uses two different settings of delaytime both. so one for short delays and one for long delays. he blends them in to the effect-chain by using the EB volumepedals.
from his main amp, he uses send out to got to the volumepedals and from there to the memory mans ( i think he splitts the signal in front of them). from the memory mans he sends the signal back to a second amp, but only uses the poweramp section of it.
so his main amp always is a dry-signal amp and the effects are only blended in via an extra poweramp.

sometimes he has a third amp on stage, which is only for backup and if someone comes on stage to jam with him. (this told me Michael Bitter - his git-tech)

beej

Saw the show too (though my ears were pretty plugged from scuba diving that aft) ... killer musicianship as usual. My head was spinning from turning to see Morse ... then Larue ... then Morse ... then Larue ... (great VR drum solo as well).

It's a different rig than his Purple rig. But he's using his Engl heads and the same basic delay/chorus/VP approach. Plus a rig for the guitar synth. The Y2D had a guitar synth backup as well, which I don't remember seeing at previous SMB gigs (maybe I never noticed).

He had a hard time keeping his guitars in tune, guess temperature changes or something. So he was cracking jokes to keep everybody going. All in all a great show.

beej

Sorry man- didn't have my camera handy. Damn though, I must have been 15 feet from him. Perfect view of everything. (Sure that's not helping!)

Hookpunch

Where you at the clinic Beej? I was thinking of yelling "Is Beej from the Music Man forums here!", in the waiting room outside the hall to meet you, too bashful though.

beej

Where you at the clinic Beej? I was thinking of yelling "Is Beej from the Music Man forums here!", in the waiting room outside the hall to meet you, too bashful though.
Hah! I was third row, right on the aisle (right side) so had a clear view to Steve. Hard to have a bad seat in that place though.

Kept looking to see if I knew anyone- asked a few people if they were on the forum, but no luck. Talked to Glen Booth ("Glensterr") quite a bit, but didn't know anyone else there. Would have been cool to meet ya- next time!

Ernieballplayer

about a couple more day's till they hit berklee just have to find a way to make tuesday go by fast for wednesday, any meet & greets so far? im so looking forward to seeing em' but also meeting steve.

Hookpunch

Talked to Glen Booth ("Glensterr") quite a bit, but didn't know anyone else there. Would have been cool to meet ya- next time!

I was talking to Glen for about 10 minutes while I was waiting in the autograph line.

Top Bottom