• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Astrofreq

Hey guys,

I have a non-EB guitar i want to part with, but I sanded the lacquer off the back of the neck awhile back. Do any of you have recommendations on lacquer to use to get the neck closer to factory specs? Also, any tips on how to apply? Thanks

daniel

Jack FFR1846

Did it have lacquer to begin with?

I sand the back of necks that are poly all the time. I get them smooth but with some poly left and do an application of tru oil. Leave it 45 seconds and wipe it off. Wait another minute and do that again. Next day, wax. It'll feel much nicer than poly but will look glossy and blend in perfectly with the previous finish.

If it really is lacquer, go to Home Depot and get Minwax Clear lacquer in a black aerosol can. This stuff is nitrocellulose lacquer and works fine over acrylic lacquer. If you want to wet sand and compound to blend in any potential overspray or blend lines, wait a couple weeks before doing it. When you wet sand, smell the neck. Yah, that's right, smell it. If it smells like a strong paint smell, leave it another week. Do the next level sandpaper. Smell it again. Go to at least 1500. Then you can do a course polish with something like rubbing compound, then polishing compound then scratch remover. I use an instrument polish and wax after that.

(I do a several guitar bodies and a few necks a year just like this as the final steps)

Last edited:

Astrofreq

Well, it is an Ibanez JS6, so it had some sort if finish on it. I guess I'm not sure if it was lacquer or something else. I just know it didn't have the EB feel, so I sanded the neck.

Your advice above is way over my head. I think I'd probably screw it up. If I sent you the neck, how much would you charge to make it look/feel like it did originally?

Top Bottom