• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Pink

Hi all,

Looking to see if there are any light(er)-weight trem blocks available for a '14 Silhouette Special. Nothing tonally wrong with the guitar (sounds great and well balanced), but is about 7.8lbs. It plays better than my '03 hardtail, though the weight becomes an issue after a while.

I did a cursory web search and forum search, but did not find anything specific. Appreciate any direction to companies or forum threads that address this.

Thanks and keep healthy.

GWDavis28

Well if memory serves me right the trem block is brass. You could have an aluminum one made at a local machine shop and that should help with the weight some.

Glenn |B)

Pink

Hi Glenn. It does have a brass block. I may try a wider, padded strap if there are no production blocks available.

It feels like the body might also be heavier than typical. Bought it as NOS and the store gave me a weight of 7.14 lbs. Though they may have meant 7 lbs 14 oz. That’s more in line with what the bathroom scale indicates.

Pink

I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s asked the question here on the forums. I’ll go a huntin’ over the next few days to see what I can discover.

Just took the easy road.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Please remember that if anyone is thinking of trading trem block, measure, measure, measure! I almost certain that EBMM and SBMM trem blocks are not interchangeable. Also, note that if you switch from brass to aluminum you will save about 7oz (200 grams) in weight but not much more than that.

Pink

Thanks for weighing in, Dr. Kev.

Good point on interchangeable blocks. This may come down to ‘love it or list it’. It plays really well, just heavier than I prefer. I’ve been spoiled by some ridiculously light project guitars in the past.

Top Bottom