• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

71guitarsmith

Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a 2013 L III that is in great shape. I am, however, having a few issues and I need some advice from others who own or use the L3 for some time. I am ignorant of this model's nuances and need informed advice. in its current state, the instrument is unplayable due to the issues below.

Issue #1: The pickups are crazy sensitive to even just a touch on the strings to the point where it is overwhelmingly scratchy. I have played guitar for 35 years and have never even come close to having anything remotely approaching this issue. I have an old '85 Burny that had microphonic pickups that sound less horrifying. You can basically look at the strings on the neck area and they pickup sound - they are so sensitive you can hear a fly fart if it's close.

I have opened the back and turned down the boost and compression to the lowest allowable setting and it does not help. From my understanding, the Compression adjuster is just for positions 2 and 4 Correct? I have a handful of other guitars that cover a spectrum of active and passive with hot pickups EMGs, 80s Jacksons, and 70s PAFs (not hot) and none of them can you literally hear your fingerprint on the strings like this L3. it's rather alarming. I'm starting to think the pickups are toast.

No signal chain, just straight into any amp or into a modeler with just a noise gate. My 6 other guitars have zero issues in the same exact chain.

Issue #2: Boost - Does this actually work? - I can hear no discernable difference. Yes, I have turned the boost adjuster to the max and then back a few times to see if I am losing my marbles. Does the board on these fail or need replacing? Could the boost be stuck on? Does anyone have issues with the PP pot failing?

Issue #3: Minor but I would like to know if it is common. The output jack does not work when any cable is fully seated. I have to slightly pull on the cable to make the connection stay.

Any advice or help is very much appreciated.

racerx

Sorry you're having these issues and something definitely isn't right. I'd recommend reaching out to the customer service team and or call in and leave a message. Maybe they can provide you with the schematic so you can take it to a reputable tech to get it patched up. At a glance it sounds like something is wrong with the pickups, but the other issues lead me to believe someone was tinkering around before you picked it up. Maybe a cowboy tried to "restore it to original" but didn't get it quite right.

71guitarsmith

Sorry you're having these issues and something definitely isn't right. I'd recommend reaching out to the customer service team and or call in and leave a message. Maybe they can provide you with the schematic so you can take it to a reputable tech to get it patched up. At a glance it sounds like something is wrong with the pickups, but the other issues lead me to believe someone was tinkering around before you picked it up. Maybe a cowboy tried to "restore it to original" but didn't get it quite right.
Well upon further inspection today (comparing the push-push pot to L3 videos online). it appears the PP pot is not compressing then releasing if that makes sense. I am trying to convey the action as text here so when depressed the PP should remain slightly down. When pressed a second time to disengage the PP pot should elevate slightly. This is not happening. So it's stuck on or stuck off - hard to say but it's not working as it should.

This is a recent purchase from eBay so I have very little time to file an issue or resolve it. Techs out here in SF Bay are so booked they are months out. I can repair most anything myself on older guitars - I have never even tried to mess with anything that has a board in it and I can not as that would interfere with the sale.

SF Guitarworks is about the only folks I trust. Jeff Lutrell and his staff are top-notch I have a drop-off appointment on April 20th but that's a few weeks out.

If there are any of you folks that are more involved with EBMM I am in need of some advice fast besides the obvious of having it examined.

IMG_0793.mov and 1 more file - video link showing issues: video and animated gif if you want to see.

beej

Sounds like it has some minor electronics issues. Hopefully just a pot/jack replacement.

Given your proximity to MM (San Luis Obispo), maybe consider sending it there for a once-over if you want to keep it? You could give them a call and discuss over the phone. (Check my signature for the link.) Their bench rates are reasonable and they know the guitar ;)

If you decide to go that route, hopefully the seller can give you a partial refund rather than you having to return the guitar.

racerx

I was in a similar dilemma to you with the Majesty I picked up. My compromise with the seller was he pay for the electronics replacement + repair rather than deal with a return ordeal. Maybe you can do something similar with your seller (assuming you're happy with the guitar otherwise)? Same deal on comfort level too -- I'm fine with traditional schemes but don't really want to touch anything more complex than that.

@beej suggestion is good too. When I called MM they were pretty backed up. Your turnaround mileage may vary depending on who you trust to do the work. Based on your vid and beej's suggestion, (hopefully) just a bum pot.

71guitarsmith

Sounds like it has some minor electronics issues. Hopefully just a pot/jack replacement.

Given your proximity to MM (San Luis Obispo), maybe consider sending it there for a once-over if you want to keep it? You could give them a call and discuss over the phone. (Check my signature for the link.) Their bench rates are reasonable and they know the guitar ;)

If you decide to go that route, hopefully the seller can give you a partial refund rather than you having to return the guitar.
Yeah EBMM is about a 3.5-hour drive from my location. I would be happy to send it to them. I did contact them over the phone (left a message) and through the contact form earlier. Hopefully, they reply in a few days.

71guitarsmith

I was in a similar dilemma to you with the Majesty I picked up. My compromise with the seller was he pay for the electronics replacement + repair rather than deal with a return ordeal. Maybe you can do something similar with your seller (assuming you're happy with the guitar otherwise)? Same deal on comfort level too -- I'm fine with traditional schemes but don't really want to touch anything more complex than that.

@beej suggestion is good too. When I called MM they were pretty backed up. Your turnaround mileage may vary depending on who you trust to do the work. Based on your vid and beej's suggestion, (hopefully) just a bum pot.
I am going to suggest that. SF Guitar Works says the parts are literally $13 and $75 labor, then $100 for strings and setup. So that is what I am going to suggest as a compromise with the seller. $100 sounds like a reasonable solution.

I can not say if I like the guitar yet as it sounds like someone is killing a bagpipe. I do like the way the neck feels for sure. It feels a lot smaller than my Suhr Koa Custom for a lack of better words shorter in reach. It is different than my Charvel from the '80s. (that's a good thing) really different from my '79 LP Custom. I was hoping to achieve an in-between sound between the LP and a Strat if possible.

71guitarsmith

Thanks for all the advice - I would love to see how this guitar is actually supposed to sound in the hands of a mortal like myself lol.

mikeller

As far as the boost - it is a push/push pot. You may want to remove the knob and see if it works. I know that sounds crazy but if the knob is sitting too close to the body, it will not engage or disengage the boost

71guitarsmith

As far as the boost - it is a push/push pot. You may want to remove the knob and see if it works. I know that sounds crazy but if the knob is sitting too close to the body, it will not engage or disengage the boost
solid advice. I will give that a shot here shortly.

jayjayjay

I'd add that EBMM sells replacement push-push pots that are used in the LIII guitars on their online store. If the pot is bad, you can just order a replacement. If there's something else going on in the electronics, it may need a new board, which isn't something EBMM sells outright. In that case, and if you're comfortable soldering in a replacement, I'd suggest calling up EBMM support and seeing if they'll let you remove and send in the old board so they can send you a replacement. Same goes for the pickups, if they're going bad, but my money is on the board over the pups.

Otherwise, you'll need to send it to EBMM. Probably take a couple of months.

Rbg

I recently talked to EBMM and I was told that they do not work/repair guitars anymore. It’s changed since COVID and now they do not have manpower. But I was asking about refretting, so do not j or if applies.

71guitarsmith

So I opened up the back control panel again and tested the Push Push pot - the non-scientific process:

1. Strum a chord
2. Adjust the boost on the board up then back down
•• The result is a noticeable gain change.
3. push the pot again and again and again - no change in level or gain.

This leads me to believe it is stuck in the boost-on position and will not push-off.

I did order a new pot and jack from the music man website, however, I will have the pros handle the work when the parts arrive. It does not look difficult to replace, but in the hands of someone who deals with this model a lot, it should be easy to notice any other issues.

tbonesullivan

Does the push push pot go to two different positions, or does it just stay up? I think sometimes that the "latch" that keeps it down can break. Also the thing about the knobs is solid advice.

The Compensation control for positions 2 and 4 is very subtle.

71guitarsmith

Does the push push pot go to two different positions, or does it just stay up? I think sometimes that the "latch" that keeps it down can break. Also the thing about the knobs is solid advice.

The Compensation control for positions 2 and 4 is very subtle.
The Push-Push Pot is toast. It is stuck in the boost mode and will not disengage even though the pot itself is in the non-compressed position (maybe that is the boost position). I have never used the Luke III model before so I do not really know what to expect now. My initial experience has not been great lol.

I am going into the whole experience a bit blind and am hoping I enjoy the way it sounds. The neck feels really different in a good way and the frets remind me of my banjo which I enjoy.

I did order the replacement part from EBMM along with a new jack. Unfortunately, sometimes eBay deals are deals for a reason. So ill be out another $190 getting the parts replaced, restrung, and set up. Kinda soured the whole experience though and I hope the negative start does not bleed into my first playing experience.

71guitarsmith

EBMM Says it's the 25k for the 2013, nice guy on the phone said it was a transition year where the PP was moved from the tone knob to the volume knob. So let's hope the guy spoke with knows his MM Luke guitars.

Rbg

I do apologize if I misled you, of course listen to EBMM people.

Top Bottom