• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Jalcom1

As I wrote earlier today in another thread, I’ve been hunting for the guitar over the past few years and have come to realize, I already own it, my EBMM Luke III. The feel, the playability and the versatility in sounds I can get from it are perfect for my style. I’ve been toying with the idea of buying a 7-string but I’m wondering if maybe I’d be better served buying another Luke III and taking it to a luthier to be setup for drop C. My current Luke’s are tuned standard and 1/2 step down. I like to be able to just pull them off the rack and play (that’s the justification I give to my wife anyway 😂). Has anyone here tried tuning their Luke’s lower? If so, do the pickups still provide good clarity or do they become muddy?

I currently also own a JR Cutlass 6-string and a JP 15 6-string, both are at the limits of my dexterity in terms of fret board width, which concerns me in moving to a 7 string. Maybe down tuning the JR is my answer. Although, it’s also a beautiful piece, I definitely prefer to play my Luke’s.

I’m hoping some of you have experienced this and will share what has worked for you. I’d like to avoid buying another guitar that I’ll end up flipping in a few months due to disappointment.

73h Nils

You could try and find, although it would be very tricky, a baritone JP6. 27” scale but they only made them for a few years.

That being said, the Cutlass could handle that tuning no problem. Just whack some thicker strings in there, like 12s, and you’re good to go.

jayjayjay

I was just thinking a baritone would be a good answer if you don't need the high E on some tunes. I have a Danelectro 66BT myself, ~30" scale, it's tuned to B standard, so a fourth down. Sounds wicked, has a floating trem (just like the Luke!), and will set you back a little less than a grand.

EBMM also made a baritone Axis a couple years ago on a BFR run, fixed bridge, ~27" scale and set up for C standard tuning. You might be able to find one secondhand if that's more your speed.

Top Bottom