• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan
Status
Not open for further replies.

tvanveen

Darrell asked and has made suggestions on what sorts of things would make the forum a cooler place. My only observation is that the traffic is a little low, and maybe overly overly oriented towards strictly EB type stuff.

Over on the G+L forum they have a daily thread that's basically about nothing called the Lunch report. Everyday someone makes a post, reports what they had for lunch and starts a topic about whatever.

So, I'm thinking we could do a weekly report. I suspect we'd run out of people quick if we did it daily. :)

I'll start.

Lunch - We're a bit low on groceries, so I got out the pancake mix. Fried me up some pancakes with real maple syrup, which, of course, is the only way to do it properly.

I'm on the verge of needing a nap.

-Topic-

I've got my first guitar when I was 12 (I'm 35) but it wasn't until about 9 months ago that I actually got the nerve up to actually play with other people. So me and a couple of friends have been jamming away in the basement, and recently my girlfriend started coming and singing.

We got a few covers down (ish) and I decided it was time to start writing some songs...so last week I brought my first one to the band.

What a weird experience. First it's just odd to hear other people playing something that was pretty much just in your head. 2nd, my girlfriend came up with a totally different, and much cooler, melody for the vocals than I had imagined. 3rd, it's a really strange experience to share your lyrics with other folks.

All around it was good. The other folks seemed to like it, I liked how it turned out and it was fun.

How do you guys write songs? What it was it like the first time you wrote a song and played it for someone else?

tv

koogie2k

Like the post tvanveen and will add to it.

Lunch - Minestrone soup and a ham and cheese sandwich. Washed it down with an ice cold Mountain Dew.

I got my first guitar when I was about 14 (now 35 myself), but could not get the hang of it. Got my next one at 22 and took some lessons. The instructor sucked, so I quit. Kept the guitar because it was a custom Ibanez, just kept it in the case. Picked it up again determined to learn about 4 years later. I got a book on scales and started learning. I then ran into a player at work (he is my big boss man) and he can rip! He is known around here by some players, hasn't been in the scene lately though. He has family and a newborn. We got together one night and he has taken me under his wing since. Now, I look back and wonder what made it so hard for me. I just needed someone to show me some direction and voila, I can play half way decent. I now write music and have a drummer and my instructor play along. They like what I do and it was nice to get a compliment on my original stuff. Just my little story, sorry for the length. :cool:

Warg Master

Interesting... I'll bite...

Lunch: Fritos Twists

Ibanez accoustic, lesson for 3 months.... I learned a little bit, but not at the pace I wanted. So, I quit the lessons and was stagnant for a couple of years. Started getting back into it in 1999. Been succombing to my G.A.S. since....

I play to have fun. YAY

kbaim

tvanveen said:
[B

How do you guys write songs? What it was it like the first time you wrote a song and played it for someone else?

tv [/B]

I just sort of try and come up with what sounds like a cool riff or section that's interesting to play and I won't mind listening too even after many times playing it, then I do what steve Morse suggests...and that is to let your mind further the melody into other parts.

And I always seem to have too many ideas at once (not all of them good either) making it impossible to just concentrate on only one song.

I asked steve morse about this and he said he works on 5 or 6 at once. If he gets stuck on one, he just moves to another one.

There you go. ALso, if you're playing with others, don't forget to let your guitar playing still allow others to be heard during certain parts of the song, which always seems to make things more interesting.

KEITH

tvanveen

I nominate Norm for the next lunch report.

Let's do this on Tuesdays, just to be arbitrary.

tv

NorM

For lunch my section from work is grilling out at Agua Caliente (Spanish for hot water), A park here in Tucson. All I am going to have is a big fat juicy steak.

I got my first guitar when I was 17. I had learned some licks when I was in boarding school the previous year. When I told my Dad that I wanted to play guitar he said, "Fine, pick out the one you want and I'll pay for half of it." So I saved up a couple hundred dollars (making Pizza) and ended up with a beautiful antique sunburst 12-string acoustic. With the herringbone binding and all, I didn't realize what a nice guitar I had bought. I played the snot out of that guitar but always kept it in great shape. I played sax in jr. high school so I had a basic understanding of music theory and I could read music. I took four guitar lessons and learned mode theory for guitar. I think I turned out OK. Both Keith and Darrell have heard me play before. Go ask them. Dad retired a couple of years ago and mentioned he might like to learn to play guitar. So I said "Well Dad, you paid for half of the 12-string. Take this one back home with you and get your money's worth out of it."

* Norm Smiles -thinking about how much he loves his Father *

See you Tuesday for lunch

peter71

I got my first guitar when I was 17. It was a $40 classical one. My parents were not going to help me pay for it because I quit piano lessons a few years earlier and they didn't want to buy a guitar that was going to get played for a year and then put away for ever. I initially wanted to play guitar to impress girls. I have found that when I was 17 most everything I did was to impress girls. I have also found that most of those things did not work.

I learned from some friends for the first couple years and just played on my own. I never liked playing other people's music because all my friends were into writing their own music. So I would just try and write songs using the five chords I knew. They were all pretty bad. When I went to college, I started taking lessons and playing in coffee shops and such. I went through a series of crappy electric guitars (all under $200). Then I finally ponied up the dough to get a nice Godin. It was a great guitar that I would probably still be playing if not for the fact that an ex-bandmate of mine brought me a EB MM Silo to play with at a gig. I sold the Godin the next day and bought that Silo. And now I spend my time annoying you guys, rather than the relatively safe people at the Godin boards. It there are any.

Oh, and I am eating left over Easter candy.

bing4sons

norm said:
Dad retired a couple of years ago and mentioned he might like to learn to play guitar. So I said "Well Dad, you paid for half of the 12-string. Take this one back home with you and get your money's worth out of it."

* Norm Smiles -thinking about how much he loves his Father *

Great story Norm!

Jimi D

Lunch? who has time for lunch? I guess I vaguely recall wolfing down a Quizno's sub sometime recently, but I don't know if it was lunch time... Dinner's always on time though, 'cause the kids need to be fed ;)

My first guitar was an Accordian! No really, I was turned onto guitar by Roy Orbison and Chet Atkins and Glenn Campbell, raised out west in Regina, but when I mentioned to my parents that I wanted to learn to play guitar, they insisted I take accordian lessons first - for two years! :( So I did it, loathing the accordian the entire time and desperately wanting to get my hands on a guitar. After two years of accordian (during which I'd blasted through four years worth of Mel Bay books for the thing), my Dad rented a guitar for me for a year, and then, after a year of guitar lessons, he bought me an Ovation, "just like Glenn Campbell's", and that was my first guitar. I was fourteen years old...

I wish I could say I still had that guitar, but I traded it toward an Ovation Breadwinner solid body a couple years after that (hey, Steve Marriott played one! of course, so did Keith Partridge :rolleyes: )

bing4sons

Lunch is a wrap (spinach tortilla, lettuce, tomato, cheese, barbeque sauce, and spicey chicken) and chips with a diet Cherry Coke.

I got my 1st guitar when I was 6, but didn't stick with it very long.

When I was 15 (1973), I met a friend who moved into my apartment complex. He showed me how to read chord diagrams. I borrowed an acoustic guitar from my brother-in-law (the strings were about 1/2 inch off the fretboard) and I was off and running (actually playing, but you know what I mean).

My friends and I would get high (it was 1973 after all) and they would have fun laughing at me, while I attempted to play. One of the 1st songs I learned was "House of the Rising Sun". I recorded myself playing and singing this on a small cassette recorder. While my friends were over one day, they listened to the tape and I started laughing, thinking they would as well. But they asked, "who is that". After that they quit laughing and actually liked my playing/singing. I upgraded to a Yahama acoustic soon after. I played lots of "Southern Boogie" (Lynard Skynard, Allman Brothers, Marshall Tucker) and also other rock like Grand Funk Railroad, Eagles.

I late 1976, my personal life had pretty much hit rock bottom (I had dropped out of high school, etc). I invited Christ to take control of my life and He totally transformed my life. I began playing more Christian rock and contemporary Christian music. I also got a GED and graduated from college.

In 1979, I bought an Ovation legend with a built in pickup and thought I was hot stuff, with a Pignose amp. I still have both the Ovation and Pignose today (although they sit around unused most of the time).

I still love rock and roll. In fact I like just about any style of music (but I have never have liked opera or rap).

My gear today: I have 2 main electrics and 2 main acoustics: EB MM Axis SS with piezo, Epiphone Les Paul ES (with F holes) upgraded with Dimarzio PAF Classic pickups, Grover tuners, and Gibson bass/treble switch, a Taylor 814ce, and I just purchased a Tacoma DF21 (maple b&s). I play the electrics through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (with a Weber 12F150 speaker) and the Acoustics through an LR Baggs Para DI (I also have Crate 125 that I use, when a PA is not availbable).

OK, that's my lunch turn... Who's next?

Bing

Last edited:

Jimi D

tvanveen said:
I think we moved to the "strappin' on a feedbag" thread...
Quite right... What do you think guys? should we close or lock the previous lunch report thread when we open a new one?

bing4sons

Jimi D said:
Quite right... What do you think guys? should we close or lock the previous lunch report thread when we open a new one?

Sure. I didn't know the feedbag was replacing this one. :confused:

tvanveen

Can we do that?

I think we can leave it open...the topic changes, so someone might want to respond to the old one.

tv

Jimi D

Well, after a brief consult with Darrell... these lunch report conversations are supposed to be pretty casual, but in keeping with the "weekly" nature of them, I'm gonna get all mod-like ("Are you a Mod, or a Rocker?" "I'm a Mocker.") and lock this one down to get people over to this week's thread... If it's really an issue, we can open it up again later, but lets try this way for now...

CLOSED

Please see this week's Lunch Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom