• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

danielbravo

Hello I'm planning doing some maintenance on my axis.
Among all the things to do one that I never have do is: change the coil tape on the humbuckers.

I have thought that placing a new tape over the original one that is somewhat deteriorated is enough. I have read that trying to peel off the original can damage the humbucker

Please if you have some advice, all are welcome !

ohbugger

I'm not certain how likely it is that something might be damaged by removing the old tape, but just chiming in as I am in the process of taping over the original tape on some of my JPs. I sometimes use the bridge pickup as an anchor for my pinky, and some of the old tape is pushed in a little or not quite as supportive as I'd like it, so that is my reasoning. So far it's been all good wrapping another band around.

danielbravo

Well, I been looking for information here and there and for what I've reading some had issues changing the tape. The most common problem seems to be to tear off part of the little cable form the coil.
My option until now is to retape the coil without pull off the original tape that shows some damage for years of use and abuse.
Thanks for the quote mate, really !

Top Bottom