• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Fastfingers83

Whats the deal with the angled headstock on the Majesty? How come other EBMM guitars dont have it?

Svava

I am told it has some positive effect on string tension. All I can tell you is that I have one and it's awesome and I wouldn't honestly change almost anything!

pmercado

rugyhyhy.jpg

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Whats the deal with the angled headstock on the Majesty? How come other EBMM guitars dont have it?

Ultimately, JP wanted it. We'd have to ask him. :)
Maybe Drew Montell can comment? He worked most closely with JP on it.

Gotta be it has to do with the fact that it is neck through maybe?

No. Ibanez are angled headstock and bolt-on. So are Jackson, Charvel, among many others and even Gibson made some too.

I am told it has some positive effect on string tension.

Nothing to do with string tension (which is determined by the gauge, scale length, and pitch, only!) The majesty has the same scale length as the other JPs, so with the same strings and same tuning they will have identical tension. Having said that there other factors that change how we perceive the feel of the strings, i.e. fixed bridge feels a little stiffer than floating trem, especially when string bending, even though the initial and final string tensions are identical no matter what bridge you have.

No need for string tree

No. EBMM have been making straight headstock guitars without string trees since 1986. On the other hand, longer headstocks like Fenders need string trees to stop the E and B strings popping out of the nut or ringing like a sitar if the nut string slots are cut with too shallow a back angle.

Angled headstocks give a more consistent break angle across the strings from the nut to the tuners. Angled headstocks are more difficult to make, uses more wood during construction (= more waste = higher cost), and are far more fragile (which is possibly the primary reason Fender went with straight headstock wit the Tele and Strat). DON'T let your Majesty fall over, especially onto it's back.

In terms of tone, feel, sustain, I can't tell you if it makes any difference. I know people who swear it does and I know people who equally swear it doesn't.

All I can tell you is that I have one and it's awesome and I wouldn't honestly change almost anything!

That's all that counts really. Enjoy! :)

Last edited:

drewbixcubed

Angled headstocks give a more consistent break angle across the strings from the nut to the tuners.

This is the main reason for the design implementation, and the fact no string tree is needed. As far as cost, material waste, sustain, etc...those all depend on how the rest of the instrument is made. Every feature of an instrument influences the others, both during the design stage and as a complete instrument. The angled headstock was a great fit for the Majesty for all of these reasons.

(Not to mention it makes the highs higher, the lows lower, and the mids midier! ;))

Is there a volute on the back of the neck where the angle breaks at the head stock to help strengthen the neck? I've not seen the guitar in person and have only seen photos on the EBMM web site and there is no photo of the back side as far as i can tell. Any chance of posting a photo?

Top Bottom