• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

crywolf71

I couldn't bond very wel with the pick-up's in my Silhouette. To bright, good for clean but not my taste for dirty sounds. My 20th sounds killer dirty do. I found out the 20th has the same PU as the Axis (i know now they aren't)
I have some Axis SS PU for 3 years, doing nothing.
So:
IMG094.jpg

Halfway
IMG095.jpg

Finished
IMG101.jpg

It is a normal 5 way switch.
Bridge
Bridge+Neck
Neck
Bridge+Neck split
Bridge split

I love it, kinda Albert HH.
I only have to buy chrome dome's

Last edited:

luv

asking because i don't know......what keeps the chrome covers attached to the pickups?

peterd79

Sweet! Though, I was pretty sure the 20th Silhouette didn't use the Axis pickups.

yeah they're custom wound pickups... i'm pretty sure they're different

I pulled my 20th PU's out and put in an AT1 and Something else... LOL!!! it's been a year back so that's my excuse but i do remember talking about them being different than the Axis...

beej

Just found the info from some old posts. According to Dimarzio, the closest pickups to the 20th were the Virtual PAF neck / Virtual Hot PAF bridge.

Here's a quote from Dudley on the selection:

"As for the Silhouette 20th, we wanted a really good vintage humbucker sound, with covers. DiMarzio had sampled us the Virtual PAF and since we are using that in Silhouettes, it was a matter of making sure it sounded right with the cover and in the new body with the mahogany. It was more than right. The Hot Virtual PAF bridge pickup is new to the 20th, and really completed the package."

crywolf71

Just found the info from some old posts. According to Dimarzio, the closest pickups to the 20th were the Virtual PAF neck / Virtual Hot PAF bridge.

Here's a quote from Dudley on the selection:

"As for the Silhouette 20th, we wanted a really good vintage humbucker sound, with covers. DiMarzio had sampled us the Virtual PAF and since we are using that in Silhouettes, it was a matter of making sure it sounded right with the cover and in the new body with the mahogany. It was more than right. The Hot Virtual PAF bridge pickup is new to the 20th, and really completed the package."

Thanks Beej

peterd79

Beej-

Thanks those are great pickups... i'm tempted to put em back in my 20th now that i have my amp situation settled down

paranoid70

The 20th pickups are indeed different. I had to get my neck pickup replaced and at the time, EB told me they only had a few of them left.

crywolf71

Are those the same pickups that come in the AL HH and Reflex? Those are great. Don't you miss the singlecoil?

I red that they are the same as the reflex (witch is an altered Axis) (Maybe Beej knows for sure). I Installed them with the single coil in the middle but prefer this setup.
I can split the bridge PU and get B/N splitted together.

threeminutesboy

I red that they are the same as the reflex (which is an altered Axis) (Maybe Beej knows for sure). I Installed them with the single coil in the middle but prefer this setup.
I can split the bridge PU and get B/N splitted together.

I guess you mean an enhanced Axis :)

straycat113

Really nice job- I love the look of the chrome covers against the black. On the technical side as long as you are happier with the results after the swap, that is all that matters.

Top Bottom