• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

austenlennon

Hi all

I have a Music Man Bass on the bench and the truss rod has pushed through and cracked the top of the fret board area. I have removed the loose and broken area and will replace that but... I can find no images of the truss rod for this area. Lots of images of the far end of the truss rod but nothing of the top end.

The truss rod is working but before I seal this area I would like to know why the truss rod caused the damage and the only way I can do that is to know what the truss rod looks like at this end. I don't want to remove any more wood to find out.... can anyone help? Please?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 5.jpg
    Screen Shot 5.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 150
  • Screen Shot 1.jpg
    Screen Shot 1.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 134

tbonesullivan

Wow, that must be an oldy. By 1991 the Stingray had moved to the "wheel" truss rod nut on the other end of the neck. Does the peghead say "Ernie Ball" over "Music Man"?

It looks like the fretboard has been leveled / planed a few times to be honest. I also see a crack coming from the peghead side as well.

danny-79

Ouch ! That’s about all I can add to that.
It was built to close to the surface in the beginning. Builder error that’s only just surfaced.
If it’s done that at the first fret then.......... (new neck in short in my opinion)

austenlennon

Wow, that must be an oldy. By 1991 the Stingray had moved to the "wheel" truss rod nut on the other end of the neck. Does the peghead say "Ernie Ball" over "Music Man"?

It looks like the fretboard has been leveled / planed a few times to be honest. I also see a crack coming from the peghead side as well.

It says Music Man... I checked no mention of Ernie Ball anywhere and yes there is a tiny crack on the pegged side too... but I might have an off the wall fix. thanks for your reply.

austenlennon

I might, just might, have an odd ball fix. If I can be sure that the truss rod will stay in place. Thanks for the reply.

tbonesullivan

It says Music Man... I checked no mention of Ernie Ball anywhere and yes there is a tiny crack on the pegged side too... but I might have an off the wall fix. thanks for your reply.

Yeah, that's definitely pre-1984 then. Could just be years of adjustment and planing the fretboard made it too brittle to handle the stress of the truss rod.

Razor1976

That is actually a common problem with some of the pre eb stingrays and sabres. The cracking at the first fret is usually due to over tightening the truss rod. There are photos around of repairs people have done. Maybe have a look on talkbass.

toomanyslurpees

I've had this happen to an 85 SR4 neck and I think it was because I like heavy strings and low action... it's not entirely uncommon with Jazz Bass necks with the bullet truss rod nuts either.

Top Bottom