• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

l100h

I have a question for owners that have both JP models. I have jp100 and looking to upgrade to jP6 but where I live I am several hours from a dealer and not sure what they have . Obviously quite a bit more money for the JP6, will the feel of the guitar be worth the dollars. any help would be appreciated.

LordRiffenstein

Whether or not it is worth it is totally subjective. I have say that I've played and owned a number of high end guitars from most big name manufacturers and that my JP15 and JP6 feel decidedly nicer. EBMM are as good as guitars get from my experience.

l100h

thanks for answering, this is large purchase and I want it to be special as it will be around a long time.

Bill S

I would say if you can get an EBMM JP6 as opposed to a Sterling, then it will be worth it purely from the joy of ownership.

bearreport

I have a Sterling JP150 and an EBMM Majesty. The "worth it" factor is totally subjective - I still play my JP150 a lot because I do enjoy the "snappiness" of bolt on necks. The build quality and joy of playing the Majesty are as good as it gets, and certain details really stick out - EBMM bridges are phenomenal, and Sterling bridges are just normal bridges for example. The new Sterling JP150D are very, very intriguing if you're looking to upgrade but weary of spending so much on an EBMM.

Going Ernie Ball, you're going to get the best damn guitar in the world, so if you're comfortable spending the money, know that you won't regret it.

swipesy

To compare Sterling to EBMM is really a bit of a stretch. I previously owned two EBMM Silhouettes and also had a Sterling version prior to the EBMMs. I'd wholeheartedly recommend getting the EBMM if you can afford it and aren't scared to spend that kind of money in the first place. Everything is simply better: Fit, finish, wood selection, frets, electronics, hardware, etc. The necks don't have the same feel either, even though a Sterling might be based on an EBMM. In my experience the EBMM neck simply felt smoother, more solid, and the frets were much better finished of course. Looked a lot better as well.

I no longer have either the Sterling or EBMM Silhouettes, having switched to short scale guitars since those days, but I have never forgotten the ones I had. In my eyes the quality of the EBMM Silhouettes I had surpassed the genuine Gibsons, Rickys, Suhrs and Carvins I once owned. EBMM doesn't currently make any short scale guitars, but Sterling now offers one and I snapped one up. It cost $300 and I'm in the process of putting another $400 in upgrades on it. I wish EBMM offered a short scale, and maybe they will someday. If that day ever comes I hope it has some of the specs I prefer. If so I'll have no compunctions about getting another EBMM. Unless they take too long ... I'm pushing 60 already. :D

Bill S

The other thing I can add is that I was seriously thinking of buying the latest 2020 Sterling Majesty, and I was quoted £1,750 for it by Andertons in the UK. I ended up getting a 2008 EBMM JP6 in mint condition for £200 less than that.

Top Bottom