• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

mdaudet

Dear EB folks,

I've just purchased the announced Ernie Ball Most Valuable Pedal (MVP). Everything looks promising with it, the active circuitry (buffer-boost), etc, but I'm unhappy with its response!

I have one complaint and one question:

Complaint:

The potentiometer taper. All the increase-decrease in volume (at least the most noticeable part) happens only in the first portion on the rocker pedal. The rest of the rocker travel is useless until it reaches zero sound. I'll really like a pedal that gradually increases-decreases the volume to have more control over the travel. Experience with other VPJR pedals shows the exact behaviour, so the new MVP is just a buffered version of the VPJR 25K with noo improvements on the taper response. I'm not as happy as I should about this new pedal.

Any trick to solve this issue?

Question:

Active electronics inside the pedal, thinking in block diagram, is like this:

Guitar input - BUFFER - Volume potentiometer - Buffer/boost - Pedal output ?

I mean, is there an input buffer prior to volume pot and right after it?

Hope you can help me solve the taper issue and provide me understanding about the block diagram of the effect.

Best regards,

Glenn K

For me it all happens at the last 3rd of the pedals forward throw! Is there any way to adjust this?

jonn

I just received and plugged in my new MVP and have discovered the exact same problem (volume hangs low until the last bit leading up to toe-down, then volume jumps up). Very unmusical, very un-usable. Seems broken, not intentional. Adjusting the MIN and GAIN change the expected characteristics of the volume, but does not fix the taper problem. Is there some way to adjust or fix it?

Any help would is appreciated. Else this pedal will have to go back to the retailer.

drewbixcubed

Here was the PM I previously sent:

Hello and welcome to the forum! We note in our stickies that is always best to contact customer service with any issues you are having to better help you. That being said, here is a response to your inquiry.

First off, very sorry to hear you are unhappy with your pedal. Depending on your settings, you may or may not have the same issues, but i will do my best to explain. If you turn both the Min and Gain volume down all of the way, your pedal sweep will be IDENTICAL to our VPJR (0%-100% audio taper). It is actually the same exact pot, and the active circuitry does not affect this taper. If you start to adjust these knobs, especially the gain, your volume will increase at a faster rate, because you have now increased the definition of the sweep positions from heel to toe. For example...0%-130% means as you sweep the pedal, you get to 100% volume BEFORE you are in the complete toe down position, then at complete toe down, you reach 130%.

As for the Min setting, if this control is turned up at all, your heel down, minimum volume position is no longer 0%, and you will hear signal from the heel down position onward.

Lastly, as for your block diagram, you are basically correct.

If you have any further questions or comments regarding issues, please contact customer service at 800-543-2255

SimonR

Hi. Did anyone ever get an answer to this? I have just bought an MVP and noticed the same thing. I expected the sweep to be even but it has minimal effect in the first 2/3's and then significant in the last 1/3. I read somewhere that this is deliberate with some volume pedals so perhaps it is a feature with this one. If so could someone explain why this would be seen as a desirable feature?

max salas

Here was the PM I previously sent:

Hello and welcome to the forum! We note in our stickies that is always best to contact customer service with any issues you are having to better help you. That being said, here is a response to your inquiry.

First off, very sorry to hear you are unhappy with your pedal. Depending on your settings, you may or may not have the same issues, but i will do my best to explain. If you turn both the Min and Gain volume down all of the way, your pedal sweep will be IDENTICAL to our VPJR (0%-100% audio taper). It is actually the same exact pot, and the active circuitry does not affect this taper. If you start to adjust these knobs, especially the gain, your volume will increase at a faster rate, because you have now increased the definition of the sweep positions from heel to toe. For example...0%-130% means as you sweep the pedal, you get to 100% volume BEFORE you are in the complete toe down position, then at complete toe down, you reach 130%.

As for the Min setting, if this control is turned up at all, your heel down, minimum volume position is no longer 0%, and you will hear signal from the heel down position onward.

Lastly, as for your block diagram, you are basically correct.

If you have any further questions or comments regarding issues, please contact customer service at 800-543-2255
Here you go

fcwestcott

Issue with treble increasing with with toe down gain

I am noticing a large increase in treble from heel to toe. I have been trying to use the MVP as a boost pedal, setting the heel position minimum knob for rhythm volume and toe position gain for lead volume. Setting my tones at rhythm level, leaves my lead tones sounding very tinny and piercing. Has there been any similar feed back or issues by other users? Could there be a reason for this or could it be my effects chain setup? I have it after my overdrive/distortion pedals and before the mod and delay/reverb. I would it put at the beginning of the signal chain but I do not want the compressor on my overdrive to hinder the gain of the MVP. Please advise. thank you

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Hi! I would start by trying the MVP on it's own into the amp. If that works, the issue may not be the pedal and I'm wondering if may be an issue with the input impedance of the next pedal in the chain, or the output impedance of the previous pedal. What pedals are they by the way? Are either of them some sort of home build or vintage pedals?

Top Bottom