• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Hi all! Long COVID brought my life to a grinding halt in February, and I'm still unable to do anything. Can't work, can't bring my kid to school, if I shower and shave the same morning I could be in bed for the afternoon. Which means if I do have some energy it's spent down internet guitar rabbit holes and tinkering with my guitars. It seems writing a long thread is possible today so please allow me to indulge myself. :)

As a "holy crap I'm fed up" summer present to myself, I got some "vintage correct" single coils from Tone Hatch pickups. As I was getting bored of the mint green pickguard and pickup covers and knobs on my Cutlass, I decided to refresh the look along with the pickups. I had been thinking of a new pickguard but I really liked the look of a few vintage strats I've seen online where the pickup covers and knobs stayed a clean white against the mint green guards. The Fender "pure vintage 50's" knobs and covers kit (eggshell white, they call it) would contrast nicely with the mint green guard. I'd never find a matching white humbucker cover but maybe I could add a brushed nickel cover to the humbucker (because I saw a picture of that once and it looked awesome).

IMG_3594.JPG
Getting the stock cover off the Cutlass humbucker took some time. It's only held on with double-sided tape on the top of the slug coil, but it's tenacious, stretchy rubber tape! After 15 minutes of pulling and tugging and pushing and careful levering, it came off just fine. If you ever do this yourself, expect some little pieces of potting wax to come out so cover the guitar or work surface to avoid smearing the wax where you don't want it. It cleans off very easily, but you can save yourself the trouble.

For those interested in changing your own Cutlass humbucker cover, the pole spacing is 53 mm so go for a cover closer to that rather than 52 mm. The new cover is held in place with a layer of masking tape on the slug coil followed by standard double sided tape. Then just put the new cover on and press into place. Usually metal covers should be soldered to the base plate to electrically ground them but I found that copper shielding tape did the same job with perfect electrical continuity from cover to ground. If the tape fails and the covers comes loose, it's easy to redo and solder.

Turns out it's next to impossible to buy a single brushed nickel humbucker cover without ordering an actual humbucker. But I'm perfectly happy with the excellent stock humbucker so I figured I'd try to DIY a cover myself rather than spend more money. Didn't work out too well, I won't lie. I didn't quite get the brushed effect I wanted and in places went through the thin nickel coating to the copper layer underneath. But it has an interesting kinda relic vibe. Besides, humbucker covers are cheap so I'll make a few more tries. It's not like I'm doing a lot else right now.

So, ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, "Julia" before...

IMG_1248.JPG

...and Julia, AFTER...

IMG_3600.jpg

IMG_3604.JPG

The cover has no obvious effect to the tone of the humbucker. I'm told that this is because the cover is made of nickel/nickel silver/german silver (different names for the same thing). But if the cover is made of brass, there is a loss of high frequencies. That may or may not be your cup of tea, so buyer beware.

The new Tone Hatch single coils are absolutely fantastic (and they were only $29.99 each)! These are the "Vintage Class" model, made to late '50s/early 60s Fender strat specs - fibre bobbins, "hand wound" 42 gauge formvar wire, AlNiCo 5 magnets. Of course, the stock Cutlass single coils are equally absolutely fantastic! In fact they are very similar. EBMM really did make a truly excellent modern recreation of the classic tones, perhaps just a hair more sparkle where these vintage recreations have a touch more upper mid spank. In truth I've gained very little from the new pickups other than the psychological placebo effect of having paid for "vintage correct" single coils.

But that's OK. I'm happy. I'll take every smile I can get right now. :)

Click here for the second attempt at the humbucker cover-> Post #16

Last edited:

fogman

Love it!
I'm not a fan of the white humucker cover, so to me; that's a great improvement!

GoKart Mozart

Looks great, Kev! I'd been curious how those factory covers on the Cutlass models were held on. Thanks for the writeup and pics!
Side note: sorry to hear about your continued COVID-related struggles.

racerx

Looks great Kev, nice work. Very classy - big fan of the clean white and chrome, definitely a big upgrade!

fbecir

Very nice job Kevin (and very nice Irish green carpet under your guitar ;))

Sorry to hear that you still have health problems. Are you still living in Paris ?

dave1812

Looks really good imho,
I've brushed a few chrome plated Pickup Covers myself a few years ago, i clamped a straight edge on my worktable and put a coarse scotchbrite pad on the table, then ran the Pickup face-down along the straight edge over the scotchbrite, to get an even pattern.
I also tried using a wirebrush for the drillpress, but that required a lot more attention to get a good finish and straight lines.

DrKev

Looks really good imho,
I've brushed a few chrome plated Pickup Covers myself a few years ago, i clamped a straight edge on my worktable and put a coarse scotchbrite pad on the table, then ran the Pickup face-down along the straight edge over the scotchbrite, to get an even pattern.
I also tried using a wirebrush for the drillpress, but that required a lot more attention to get a good finish and straight lines.
Yeah, I should have just gone to the supermarket and bought a pan cleaner and I've had better results. I first tried micro mesh, but that was too fine and stiff. Then I tried P400 wet-n-dry around a sponge but that was too stiff and I had to push to get full coverage, hence the burn through in the middle and edges. But that's OK. I think paid 8 bucks for that cover, and that's the kind of skill learning I'll pay more than that for! :)

John C

Sorry you've been down with long COVID for so long. But great work on the Cutlass; the metal cover looks great on the humbucker.

DrKev

Thanks John, and everyone! I'm ordering another humbucker cover and I'll try again. It seems the trick to a good brushed finish (like the Suhr or Bare knuckle pickups offer) is to get raw nickel cover, not a nice shiny plated one. Failing that, I'll just go polished chrome and be done with it.

Opera Snapshot_2022-10-03_113434_www.musik-produktiv.fr.png

DrKev

Second attempt at the humbucker cover is the win. :cool:

Must start from unplated nickel cover. I left the sides mostly untouched. Best to check you fit on the pickup first as I needed a little work on the holes with a round needle file and 600 grit paper to get the pole pieces to fit correctly. Then I used no 2 Emery cloth on the top, which is roughly equivalent to P240 grit sandpaper. Lay your abrasive flat and move the cover over the paper and make sure to use some sort of fence or edge to slide the cover along to get perfectly straight lines (or it'll look like :poop:). Then I masked off the top and sides leaving an 1mm edge around the top which I polished to a shine with micro mesh (1500 thru 8000).

IMG_3631.jpg

IMG_3633.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom