New to the forum. Here are my basses.

From L-R in order of purchase:
Sterling 5HH Egyptian Smoke 2011
Big Al 5SSS Silver (my goto bass) 2012
Bongo 5HS Black 2013
Reflex 5HSS White 2019

Musicman Bases hz3.jpg

ohbugger

Nice, versatile lineup, and great colors! Welcome to the forums.

wannarock8

Very cool basses. A couple of rare ones that were only in production for a while in there too. Thanks for sharing!

muggsy

Very nice! I have a silver Big Al 4SSS, I know there aren't many out there. I always liked Egyptian Smoke too.

tj1

Congrats on what seems like a diverse collection. But could I ask(only having owned played a Sterling SB14):

1. Why the Big Al is your 'goto'. Appearance wise, only, for me, your Egyptian Smoke Sterling looks the nicest.

2. Why you never acquired MM's most famous model - the Stingray

bovinehost

Administrator
I'm interested in his answer to this but I am kind of in the same boat - I have Bongos all over the place and that isn't likely to change, but when there is studio time, I also bring my Big Al 5H. My band has come to think of it as "the recording bass" and if I don't have it, they get nervous.

I use the Big Al 5H and a Bongo 5H on almost everything. Same deal when we gig, although it's been a long time since COVID let us do that. The reasons I use those two are simple. They have a long history of getting the job done. I'm at home with them - they always feel "right" and the tone is dependable and BIG.

Come to think of it, I don't currently have a Stingray, either. When I do have one, it's always a fiver.

Wait, I forgot: I have a SUB, ye olde USA model with the bumpy finish and black painted neck. It's the "budget Stingray" and I keep it because what kind of person would I be if I didn't have some kind of Stingray? Almost overlooked that one.

cstew1963

Thanks!
See Below.

Congrats on what seems like a diverse collection. But could I ask(only having owned played a Sterling SB14):

1. Why the Big Al is your 'goto'. Appearance wise, only, for me, your Egyptian Smoke Sterling looks the nicest. - The Big Al electronics paired with my Markbass P210 Combo amp sounds phenomenal! Ive had several seasoned sound engineers say its the best combination they've heard. Plus it does look cool! The Sterling Egyptian Smoke was my first MM. Definitely nice looking.

2. Why you never acquired MM's most famous model - the Stingray- The Stingray I feel has too big of a body (for me). Thats why I went with the Sterling. Pretty much same shape, smaller body.

cstew1963

My Rig

This is my rig. My gigging basses are the Big Al 5SSS and Reflex 5HSS. Amp is the Markbass p210 Combo. Road case is custom designed to fit the Markbass amp and 8U rackspace for wireless IEM/Guitar and personal mixer (I split my vocals and bass). The case is from Hard Rock Cases.

MyRig2.jpg

Top Bottom