• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan
Hi. New member. I want an EBMM guitar- but I guess I’m picky regarding neck feel. I primarily play a Gibson ‘61 SG Reissue with a 60’s slim taper profile. I have other guitars- AVRI Jazzmaster, Telecaster, J45TV, Rickenbacker, etc. I’ve played two EBMM’s that I recall- one was, I believe, an Axis or perhaps a Wolfgang. idk. but I was blown away at how comfortable it felt and its build quality was dynamite. Welp, I got it in my mind I wanted a Steve Morse- then I got a used one in my hands and it felt… not good. Neck was chunky. Felt off. I don’t mind a thicker neck, but it’s not what I want. Are there any EBMM neck profiles that feel like the equivalent of 60’s slim tapers? Because I am sold on getting an EBMM- just needs to feel right. I play rock n roll and country. Guitarists I go for: Clarence White, Mike Campbell, Angus Young, The Blue Oyster Cult guy, New Order, the Cure, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Cocteau Twins. That kind of stuff. Not really a shredder I guess. Thanks. for your help!

jayjayjay

To ask a potentially dumb/obvious question - but why not an Axis? You said you tried one and loved the way it felt. Was there something that was off?

racerx

I would try a Cutlass, Luke, or Sabre. Based on my experience I’d approximate those as close. It’s interesting you liked the Axis as I don’t think that’s terribly thin or similar to the Gibbo Slim D profile.

I actually can’t remember what it was- it was back in the early 2000’s and it was a new (?) EBMM guitar on the wall at a Sam Ash store and I remember associating it as an “Eddie Van Halen” guitar. So really not sure it was an Axis. Sorry I’m being so vague. What really stuck with me was how comfortable it was. Never forgot that.

beej

... I got it in my mind I wanted a Steve Morse- then I got a used one in my hands and it felt… not good. Neck was chunky. Felt off.
Not to steer you back to the SM, but I'd describe the neck as anything but chunky. The profile, post 2003, is quite slim and worn down, and the original one was more of a typical Fender neck. There are some BFRs with a thicker profile- so perhaps you tried one of those?

jayjayjay

The "EVH" guitar is what became the Axis once Eddie ended his deal w/ EBMM. While EBMM made a few tweaks when they turned it into the Axis, it's still the same shape and retains the asymmetric neck carve.

I also have a Sabre. Its neck is definitely slimmer feeling than the Axis, although it's a touch wider.

You guys make some good points. Yep, the Morse was definitely thick- it was used and I do believe it was one of the thick models. And yep, I should get my hands on a few of these models and check them out. I don’t mind a thin nut width- EBMM guitars look so amazing- they simply exude QUALITY. Great community here. I appreciate you.

Top Bottom