• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

V_S

Hello.. I was able to purchase a Silo neck and I'm currently building a body for it. Does anybody know where to get MM screws for the neck? Fender screws have the same size except for the screw head, which is quite larger for the Fender screws.

tbonesullivan

Unless you have the neck plate for that neck as well, you should get screws that are going to work with the neck plate and/or fittings that are going to be on the other side of the neck joint.

Reactions: V_S

V_S

I made a neckplate myself that has the same dimensions as the a original MM one and fits the existing holes in the neck... only the Fender screws I have, have bigger screw heads. I noticed too late that I should have made a slightly bigger neck plate for the Fender screws.

P5237263_2.jpg IMG_20240522_141317768_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

V_S

Can you countersink them a little more?
I could.... but I would prefer the smaller screw heads, since enlarging the holes would make them touch the rim of the plate.
I think the neck screws might be the same as the trem claw screws from what I saw today.
Good idea... I already had the same suspicion when I was surfing the Music Man parts shop: Tremolo Claw and Spring Set

.. but somehow forgot to follow that path. I just opened the trem cavity of my AL and installed two Fender screws. Now I probably only need 3 additional screws.. the length and probably also the outer diameter of the thread are identical. Besides that I noticed other differences: they have slightly different threads... the one of the MM-screws is more coarse and has a larger inner diameter.

Edit: just unscrewed 1 neck screw from my Al. It has the same dimensions as the trem claw-screw.

P5257266_2.jpg

Last edited:

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Edit: just unscrewed 1 neck screw from my Al. It has the same dimensions as the trem claw-screw.

View attachment 43714
No, the thread pitch is very different.

I have a screw size/thread chart and I got it out with the intention of removing a neck screw to size it up, and what did I find? A little orange post-it note that says

MM Neck Screw
#8-15 x 1 3/4"

You're welcome! :)

V_S

Thanks a lot.. but it looks like they are the same here. The one with the black head is from the trem claw, the other from the neck:

P5257271_2.jpg

Counting and dividing by 1.75 gets me around 13 threads per inch, where the Fender screws have 15 threads per inch. I just found my old thread here, where I already asked that question.

Last edited:

banjoplayer

@ V_S: ich hab eine originale Neckplate, die ich mal auf ebay gekauft habe und natürlich nie benötigt habe.
Hättest Du daran Interesse?
ich meine mich zu erinnern, dass sie von einer Silhouette stammt, kann es bei Interesse in meinen Mails recherchieren
...Dein Schraubenproblem löst es natürlich nicht :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

V_S

Danke.. aber mit dem Look und auch sonst wie die Platte geworden ist bin ich sehr zufrieden. Bei Temu gäbe es auch unauthorisierte Kopien.

Top Bottom